Pedestal mount for the new Raymarine A50D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2009
Catalina 310 Saint Petersburg, FL
Has anyone mounted, located a source for the installation of the "new" Raymarine A50D chartplotter?
Currently there is an Edson Garmin 172 GPS on the Pedestal.
Thank you.

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
please clarify, cat

Not sure what you're asking here? The electrical source should be your battery supply, and you should wire through the pedestal to the electrical panel in your cabin. If you are replacing the the Garmin, you could probably connect the new A50 to the existing positive, negative, and ground wires used to power your old GPS. If you're asking about another place on your boat to mount, it's very much up to you. Are you looking to supplement your existing GPS, or replace it? I recently flush-mounted my new A65 to an existing Navpod at the pedestal.

Jul 21, 2009
Catalina 310 Saint Petersburg, FL
Found my answer - Edson mount

Not sure what you're asking here? The electrical source should be your battery supply, and you should wire through the pedestal to the electrical panel in your cabin. If you are replacing the the Garmin, you could probably connect the new A50 to the existing positive, negative, and ground wires used to power your old GPS. If you're asking about another place on your boat to mount, it's very much up to you. Are you looking to supplement your existing GPS, or replace it? I recently flush-mounted my new A65 to an existing Navpod at the pedestal.
Edson product 2020-105-65 will work with the new Raymarine A Series displays, A50, A57, and A70 (d). The backside is the same cutout and only the front size is different. As to moving the older Garmin 172 to the Nav Station it is possible but the Autopilot must only receive feedback from one unit. Hopwfully NMEA connection will/does allow two GPS units on one boat.

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
Re: Found my answer - Edson mount

An old post suggested that the best product is polyethylene because of its heat, water, and UV resistance. I previously had another instrument mounted on my Nav-pod, with a different shaped cutout. The brand name product a lot of people seem to use is King Starboard poly, which can be cut and drilled, just like wood. An even more economical alternative is to use polyethylene cutting board material. I found a white cutting board (it also comes in black) at Lowes the perfect size to cover my old hole, and easily cut it to the appropriate rear dimensions of my new instrument.

Status
Not open for further replies.