Passage 450 staysail

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DASmith

Anyone have experience with rigging a 450 or a 460 with a stay sail? Does the extra sail upset the balance of the boat much? Are performance improvements worth the expense (or even noticable)? How are the control lines rigged - do you need an extra set of winches? Thanks in advance.

S

Shawn Severn

Staysail is definitely worth expense

We have a stay sail on our 450. We have used it numerous times. Coming down the coast from Seattle, it was the only sail we used for two days. We rig the sail through its own set of blocks. I have the extra winches on board but we tend to use the main winch for this sail because the weather is pretty heavy when use the sail. We find that it provides better balance when we have a deep reef in the main sail than the jib or no head sail. We have used the sail a lot in heavy weather. It keeps the boat going very well without beating us to death. I definitely recommend it if you are going to do any serious offshore sailing. For coast sailing it can be in the way a bit. Shawn

B

Bob B

Its not meant to be a Cutter rig

This set up is not meant to be used as a Cutter rig unless you want to use running backstays. You should talk to Steve Pentagrass or Hunter if you are thinkig about using it as a Cutter rig(he will advise against it). It is meant to be used as Shawn alreay explained, either /or but not both. I have one on my 450 and it is great, it balances the boat nicely and gives us another alternative when sailing in heavier weather. I have also used it when motor sailing, gives a little more speed and balance. Don't need an extra set of wenches as it is used instead of the jib.

Status
Not open for further replies.