Passage 42 bilge question

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
i am still chasing a diesel small leak into the bilge. I have cleaned and dried the engine around injectors- no sign , checked fuel filter and all lines- no sign.
We have had a little rain so I found a little water in the bilge, but strangely, only in the centre section-- fore and aft sections of the bilge are bone dry! So , does anyone know what drains into the centre bilger section- I am assuming - as its the lowest section, something drians into it- but I cant for the life of me , think what, or from where?? There was diesel on top of that water, but still no sign of a leak ANYWHERE! I did overfill the tank recently , but I have checked the tank and all lines too and from, and no sign of any leak!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Do you have a generator?

Tank over fills may leak around the Level meter.
Jim...

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
yes- i have an onan- but have checked that also very carefully- tank analogue meter is not leaking

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
i am still chasing a diesel small leak into the bilge. I have cleaned and dried the engine around injectors- no sign , checked fuel filter and all lines- no sign.
We have had a little rain so I found a little water in the bilge, but strangely, only in the centre section-- fore and aft sections of the bilge are bone dry! So , does anyone know what drains into the centre bilger section- I am assuming - as its the lowest section, something drians into it- but I cant for the life of me , think what, or from where?? There was diesel on top of that water, but still no sign of a leak ANYWHERE! I did overfill the tank recently , but I have checked the tank and all lines too and from, and no sign of any leak!
Water in bilge - Is it possible you have a loose keel. There were some posts that showed water leaking out where the keel meets the hull when the boat is pulled. I recall some discussion about the bolts needing to be tightened (or maybe worse re-seating the keel). A 450 owner I know just had this done to their boat.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
Keel bolts were checked at last sliping and no water in bilge unless we have heavy rain, so i am assuming water is entering through deck fittings or safety staunchion bases.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
OK, found the fuel leak- it was the rubber fuel return lines- they had hardened and were weeping, so replaced with new fuel hose and clamps!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
OK, found the fuel leak- it was the rubber fuel return lines- they had hardened and were weeping, so replaced with new fuel hose and clamps!
Hi Eian, were there certain sections that had hardened, or the entire length?