Palm Pilot, Visor, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick Webb

I am thinking of getting my wife a PDA for Christmas and was wondering about it's possible utility for the boat. Anyone out there use one with their GPS or find any other reasons to take it on the boat with them? Guess with a modem and my cell phone I can keep up with the HOW site, hell that maybe reason enough right there.

J

Jon Bastien

Hmmm, I thought I saw a post...

... a few weeks ago about tide information software for PDAs. Other than that, I can't think of a lot of utility- Unless you write software for ship's logs, or navigation, or something... I was also kicking around the idea of a PDA for wireless E-surfing, but found the cost a little prohibitive for my budget. Of course, if I'm going to have a PDA, cell phone, and cell modem aboard, why ot just plug the cell devices into my laptop? More capability and flexibility than a PDA, just not quite as small a device to stow. --Jon Bastien H23 '2 Sheets to the Wind' H25 'Adagio'

W

Warren Tan

PALM GPS

If you're buying her a Palm PDA or any PDA that's based on the Palm OS, there are a lot of wireless solutions for them on the market. I recently saw a GPS attachment for it at CompUSA. Warren S/V Jetmags B331

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
check archives

Search for Palm or PDA and you'll find a lenghy thread on it; not it isn't worth re-visiting. http://www.c-2.com/search/searchnew.tpl?fno=0

R

Rick Webb

Phil,

I checked it again and could not find much except the tide software thread. Is there a trick to the new search feature that I am missing?

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Palm GPS

I have a Palm and it more or less runs my life, but I don't use it on my boat. (Heaven help me if the wrong characters got hold of my scheduler; I'd do whatever they told the Palm to tell me to do!) The GPS option is appealing, but by the time you got it set up, you could have a GPSIII plus and the Light list disk and do the job better. This has been my experience with a lot of the Palm applications; The machine will do the job, but not as wells as even low - mid range purpose built products. On the other hand, if it does an acceptable job in your estimation, you have eliminated several ~$300 purhcases. I think the most important thing to do is program it to remind you wife that every day is already alotted to sailing! Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I was mistaken

Looks like the thread was about Pocketmail, and specifically PDA's. So, as it turns out, there wasn't really much to find. We'll need to have at it right here!

P

Paul Akers

I did it!

About 6 weeks ago I posted a note about an application called TideTool for a Palm OS PDA. It's free software and the newest version is really slick. With the app, you can install regional tide tables from all around the world. I have installed two regions that cover Maine thru NJ. I sail out of RI and this covers more than my cruising grounds. Tide, heights and selected current speeds are calculated thru an algorithm that provides tides thru the year 2032. I've checked the accuracy against local tide tables and tide tables on the internet and they are amazingly accurate (within 1-2 minutes). There is also a YachtLog to download (haven't done it). These will work on any product that uses the Palm OS. To check the hundreds of software applications (many are free) go to www.handspring.com and click the "software products" link. This will link you to the Palm software site. The TideTool web site is at URL: http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/tidetool2_0.htm Good Luck.

T

Todd Osborne

Tidetool!

Paul is right. Tidetool works great. I use it in the Pacific NW where currents run strong and are crucial to navigating. I also use my PDA for packing checlklists before leaving for the boat. It also comes in handy for listing supplies needed while on the boat. As for all the gee-whiz stuff, I'd just buy the item for the job (GPS, Phone, ect.) for now.

D

Dean Smith

VisorPHONE

I suppose that by now everyone knows about the cel-phone springboard plug-in for the VISOR. Sounds sexy, also the new VISOR PRISM with 65,000 + colors. I bought some Handspring stock in August, and it has tripled! I also live in the Pacific NW and use Tide Tool. The GPS units sound like they would draw too much power to be practical. Does anyone know anything about MariNET and if it will become useful for recreational boaters -- eMail, PCS voice, web, etc. over VHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.