Painting Swing Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chip Puccio

In the spring prior to laubch, I will have painted all, but the swing keel. Can't paint it on the blocks because the keel is supported by blocks. The boat will be trailored for launch, but I don't believe the keel will be able to by fully extended on the trailer to be painted. any suggestions as to what to do would be great.

R

Russ Marcks

The only way I have painted my centerboard was to have the marina lift the boat off the trailor. Fortunately, my marina doesn't charge for this when putting the boat in the water, they only charge to step the mast. With the boat supported on the crane, drop the board and paint it. You do not have to wait for the paint to dry before it is put in the water. In fact, the service guys at my marina claim the bottom paint cures better underwater. Don't know if I believe THAT! But I have launched with wet bottom paint and have had no problems. If your Marina charges to lift, I suggest an ablative bottom paint rather than an epoxy-based paint. That way, it doesn't have to be repainted very year. Russ Marcks

Status
Not open for further replies.