Painting non-skid

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
@Freedom77 asked “Anyone have suggestion for repainting non-skid?” in another thread. Didn’t want to hijack, so ...

Somewhere in these forums I got the advice to use Totalboat’s TotalTread. I just painted the sliding hatch and it looks great. But, then, it’s only been 36 hours.

It went on really well. I did two thin ish coats and it covered the existing nicely. One thing I learned when removing the tape from the edges is when you prep to be sure that the tape is totally outside the non-skid or you’ll have jagged edges. Only needs to be. A millimeter or so. I’ll probably be the only one that notices. I just barely overlapped the first row in a couple of places.

I was going to post pics, but it is complaining about the size which is odd as it never has before and I used the same method. I’ll see if I can find a workaround for that.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Regarding TOTALBOAT!
On my boat there was an area where someone ... (let’s call him something crazy like ???? Dave) peeled back a 1’ x 1’ square of the non-skid around the installation spot of a solar vent. I don’t know the backstory but the repair was pretty good but you could see it. And I had been trying to run down an elusive leak and got to wondering if the leak was around that repair job so I painted with the totalboat non skid to see if that sealed the leak.

It looked GREAT ... for about 6 months ...but in the areas where I painted I get mildew stains now and have to scrub it to get it white again. The paint definitely mildews faster than the original gelcoat.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Thanks Williamtl, currently non-skid is light blueish. After 40+ years in the desert sun it looks pretty sad. Any helpful hints on prep before applying. rgranger, mildew is not problem in Sin City. Humidity here is, for the most part, non existent. Temp got to 115 this week.:cool: It ain't Hell but you can see it from here.:yikes: Lake Mead level is still way down. Don't see it coming up in the near future unless we get some major snow runoff from the mountains. Thanks to all who contribute to this site.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I cleaned it with soap and water and then scrubbed it with a stiff plastic bristle brush, rinsed, and then toweled dry.

I’ll watch for mold as that is a constant battle here in the Ohio River Valley.