Painting anchor bowsprit

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Greenfield

The paint on the bowsprit on my 29.5 is chipping off. Thenpaint is white but I am not sure of the matal type. It is not rusting though. I would like to paint it in the spring but unsure as to what type of paint or prep work is involved. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Powder Coat it.

Bob: I assume that you are on the hard for now. I do not know how much work it is to remove you bowsprit/anchor roller. If it can be taken off of the boat without too much trouble, I would recommend that you have it powder coated. This process involves removal of all of the old paint and then they charge the metal with an electro static charge. They then spray the object with a powder that is then baked on. There is really no comparison to paint and powder coating as far as appearance and durability. If you do this you should also use some silicon or anti-sieze gel on each of the screws/bolts when replacing the piece. This will prevent the powder coating from chipping and allow any salt from getting under the finish. I think that this would cost approx. $50-75 but it is really first class when done. They can do it in any color and different finishes if you like.

A

Alex

It happened ty my 29.5 too..

.. after first year on water.. I took off all the white paint, cleaned it well ( it went rather eassily..) and painted it with an aluminum paint (and prior that a matching primer). It still holds after 4 more years..

Status
Not open for further replies.