Pacific Seacraft Mariah

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trish

My husband and I are going to look at a 1978 31 Mariah tomorrow. Just wanted to know if anyone has or had one and what your liked/disliked about the model. Thanks for any input.

W

Warren Milberg

The PS Mariah...

... is a really well built (but be sure to get a qualified survey for a boat this age) cruiser. Lots of room inside and with a sheer that makes a very nice looking boat. Don't expect to be able to point very high or to go upwind with the other racer/cruisers as this boat is a heavy displacement cruiser only best suited for off the wind sailing. While I would not want this model boat for day sailing or weekending on the notoriously light wind Chesapeake, it would make a great coastal cruiser and offshore boat. Late 70's models are selling in $50-75k range along the East Coast and I think that would be a bargain if you are going to look at one in good condition. This model boat was so popular that PS has reintroduced an updated version.

I

Idaho Lanlubber

A new model Mariah?

I am not aware that Pacific Seacraft is releasing a new Mariah model. In fact, the Mariah was built to be a better sailing vessle than the Westworld kit boats, which have been out of business foe many, many years now. The Mariah, although a rugged and excellent offshore cruiser, was a slug in most winds compared to all the current PS models. I know; I saled them and owned the precursor, the PS25, which was the smaller hull of the same design. She was a lovely boat, but totally worthless in light winds.

I

Idaho Lanlubber

A new model Mariah?

I am not aware that Pacific Seacraft is releasing a new Mariah model. In fact, the Mariah was built to be a better sailing vessle than the Westworld kit boats, which have been out of business foe many, many years now. The Mariah, although a rugged and excellent offshore cruiser, was a slug in most winds compared to all the current PS models. I know; I saled them and owned the precursor, the PS25, which was the smaller hull of the same design. She was a lovely boat, but totally worthless in light winds.

J

John R Pollard

PSC 31 not the same as Mariah 31

I just noticed this post and wanted to clarify a misunderstanding: The "recently re-introduced" PSC 31 bears no resemblence to the older Mariah 31. The Mariah 31 is a Henry Morschladt design from the 1970s, a double ender with a full keel and long bowsprit (much like the Westsail 32). Most were built during the late 1970's, but a few may have been built into the early-mid-1980's. The PSC 31 now in production, originally introduced in 1987, is a Bill Crealock design (with assistance from Joseph Artese on the interior). It has a fin keel and skeg hung rudder, with a wine-glass transom. There is also a pilothouse version of the PSC Crealock 31, referred to as the Pilothouse 32, no longer in production. The Mariah displaced on the order of 50% heavier than the Crealock 31.

M

Mike

Mariah 31, 1978

I live full time on a Pacific Seacraft Mariah and plan on going cruising in a couple of years. She's a stout little boat with beautiful lines. Nothing like the new pacific seacraft 31. I dont have trouble in light winds on the chesapeake and dont have trouble when the winds pick up either. We have a small owners group on yahoo groups. You can see some photos of these boats there.

Status
Not open for further replies.