paceship

JonP

Aug 30, 2014
paceship oak island Penetang
hello. I was wondering if any ones got info on a '63 paceship oakisland p12 sail boad I was reasently given one and im wanting some info on them even pictures

also......
- where would I find new stainless steel cable (believe they are called shrouds). and are they universal sorta thing
- and what sort of paint do I have to use or can I use automotive paint

thx in advance
jon

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Shrouds/stays should be made by a local rigger who measures your boat and specs the material.
Paint type depends on what and where you are painting.
Please advise for a better response.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
I have a 1968 Paceship 16 (Peregrine), and have some info on your model:

PACESHIP P 12 (OAK ISLAND 12)

Hull Type: Centerboard Dinghy Rig Type: Fractional Sloop LOA: 12.06' / 3.68m LWL: 10.67' / 3.25m Beam: 5.38' / 1.64m Listed SA: 82 ft2 / 7.62 m2 Draft (max.) 3.25' / 0.99m Draft (min.) 0.60' / 0.18m Disp. 300 lbs./ 136 kgs. Ballast: none SA/Disp.: 29.31 Bal./Disp.: n/a Disp./Len.: 110.25 Designer: George W. McVay Builder: American Boat Co./Paceship Yachts (CAN) Construct.: FG Bal. type: n/a First Built: 1963 Last Built: 1974 # Built: ---- BUILDERS (past & present) More about & boats built by: Paceship Yachts Ltd. DESIGNER More about & boats designed by: G. William McVay

BACKGROUND INFO FROM:

http://www.paceship.org/history.asp

There are 31 known fiberglass versions of sailboats and dinghies produced by Paceship Yachts LOA's from 7ft to 32 ft. The predecessor of Paceship "Mahone Bay Plycraft Company Ltd" manufactured a line of moulded plywood boats (many of which were hulls that were designed to be finished and outfitted by others and sold under a host of names). There is rumored to be some sailboats produced by the Plycraft company as well.

The Paceship boats were first built by Industrial Shipping Company Limited of Nova Scotia (ICS). The Plycraft speedboats were the original products built by ISC in the original Mahone Bay plant until it burned down in 1956. When the plant was re-erected, it continued to manufacture molded plywood but the bulk of the new plant capacity was designed to manufacture vessels using a new material - fiberglass. Production of fiberglass was principally with smaller runabouts and sailboats. Eventually it grew into larger sailboats. The company began marketing boats under the new Paceship Name around 1962. The company was acquired in 1965 by Atlantic Bridge Company Limited of Nova Scotia (ABCO).

ABCO apparently manufactured a few other boats but little has been learned of these boats to date. One such boat includes the 38' Pleasure Trawler built in 1979.

In 1975 the PY-23 and PY-26 tooling was sold to AMF of Connecticut, who built the design between 1975 and 1981. The Yacht Business was wound down, as Atlantic Bridge Company moved its industrial fiberglass operation into the plant previously operated as Paceship Yachts.

Atlantic Bridge Company Limited renamed the industrial fiberglass business "ABCO Plastics Limited" and sold that business in 1988 and renamed itself "ABCO Idustries Limited". Reinforced Plastics Systems Inc. now operates the former ABCO Plastics Limited business on the original site of Paceship Yachts, in many of the buildings that were rebuilt by Industrial Shipping LTD in the late 50's.

Around 1981 in an economic slowdown, AMF decided to shut its Paceship operation in CT. Tanzer Industries bought the mold and rights to at least the PY26 design in 1981 and produced the boat as the Tanzer 27 (with a deck stepped versus the original keel stepped mast along with a few other minor changes one of which extended the boats length by 3 inches making it a 27 footer) until they went out of business a few years later.

JonP

Aug 30, 2014
my father and I did some further digging and I believe I have a Phi do to the haul and pictures ive found on line but the ID plate says Oakland

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If no one had answered yet, you can buy the stainless steel wire for the shrouds in a marine hardware store, or probably on this website. What is most often used is 1 by 19 stainless wire which is stiff and strong. This can be had for between $1 and $2 per foot. So, measure carefully. There are other alternatives but 1 by 19 stainless is the most common. I can't specify a size but there are tables which can or a chandlery such as this site can. You'll spend more money on the connections of the wire to turnbuckles or other hardware than on the wire itself. So these jobs require careful planning and measurement.
Paint is another matter. What are you painting? This isn't really my area. There are real experts in painting on this forum. They will chime in.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Usually when ordering new standing rigging, the best thing to do is send the old rigging into whoever is making the new wire. No measuring needed by you. They simply fashion new wire that is the same as the old.

JonP

Aug 30, 2014
Painting

shemandr. im wanting to paint the top side and bottom side. fiberglass. from what info ive been told and gathered if the boad comes out every time it goes in i can use top side paint on the bottom

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
While cruising Nove Scotia this summer we saw the former paceship facility in Mahone bay and the current ABCO facility in Lunenburg which still producs boats. The one they were parading aroundd the harbor when we were there was a mid 20s center console.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Does anyone know what happened to the Paceship Owners Group? It had some great info. I had read somewheres that it had been saved as a PDF? Anyone have any info?

Aug 23, 2023
Paceship PY23 Gulfport

Thanks for the Dave tag. I'll let him check on this before PM him.

This is what I sent to the help submission form:

Hello,

Would it be possible to create dedicated Paceship(AMF) forum like you have for Catalina etc.?

I've been working on saving the historical data from Paceship.org which was a great resource until the creator/admin passed. We've been able to fins some of that data and are looking at a location to carry the forum where users can go. Your website with its dedicated sections looks like a good possible fit if a dedicated section could be set up with subforums for the different models.

Please let me know if this is something you would be open to or not and we can discuss from there.

I've answered this question on this specific topic paceship

Thanks,
Andy