P42 radar mount

Dec 29, 2016
Hunter Passage 42 Ocracoke NC
I have a new to me 1996 Passage 42 and want to install radar. Looking at the mast it appears to be factory setup to take one with holes predrilled. Does anyone know if there is access to the conduit thru the hole in the front that has tape over it? Any hints or tips? Or am I going to have to do this with the mast down?

Thanks

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Hmmm.... What makes you think that's they way it came from the factory? Surely that tape wouldn't have survived 28 years! I suspect it had a radar that was removed.

Dec 29, 2016
Hmmm.... What makes you think that's they way it came from the factory? Surely that tape wouldn't have survived 28 years! I suspect it had a radar that was removed.
Maybe not. I don't know. Anyone know if there is access to the conduit in that area?

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
If you are trying to do this yourself, go up there and try to drop a small line with a weight inside that hole. If it shows up at the bottom use it to pull the cable. No luck, get a rigger to help.
That's how I would move forward on this, somebody else here may have a better idea.

Sep 3, 2022
Hunter Passage 42 Annapolis 40 years
Hoosier,
I have a 1990 P42 and just replaced my origional radar and deck/steaming lights this spring.
The conduit runs short of the radar access hole buy six plus inches. The deck/ steaming light shares this conduit also and exits then u turns outside the conduit back to its mounting location.

My mast was off for a re- rigging so access was much better, still a PITA.

Good luck with dropping a weight...tension all halyards maximum beforehand!

Dec 29, 2016
Hoosier,
I have a 1990 P42 and just replaced my origional radar and deck/steaming lights this spring.
The conduit runs short of the radar access hole buy six plus inches. The deck/ steaming light shares this conduit also and exits then u turns outside the conduit back to its mounting location.

My mast was off for a re- rigging so access was much better, still a PITA.

Good luck with dropping a weight...tension all halyards maximum beforehand!
Thanks!! That's exactly what I was looking for. Still not sure I'm going to mast mount it. I may use a pole on the back. Not sure I can get the cabling thru the access hole under the mast without taking it down.

Sep 3, 2022
Hunter Passage 42 Annapolis 40 years
Thanks!! That's exactly what I was looking for. Still not sure I'm going to mast mount it. I may use a pole on the back. Not sure I can get the cabling thru the access hole under the mast without taking it down.
Hoosier,
Without unstepping the mast your chances for routing are near zero if using the existing conduit.
Pole mounted radar has advantages...ie. wind generator, gps antenna, etc

Good luck with your choice!.