P42 Mystery

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Belle-Vie had a few rain water leaks when we took possession in 2002. Located and fixed them over the years, except for, well snow. Last year we had about fourteen inches of accumulated snow and about eight this past winter. After the melt about a gallon plus of water had to be emptied out of the bilge. No water in any of the cabins as evidence of port lights or hatches leaking. Just the bilge. Does anyone have a clue why snow melt leaks in but not rain?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Under what conditions? In a slip, on the hard, with heat, sunlight angle, etc.
My garage gets flooded with about an inch or so of water every spring because the snow on the shady side of the house doesn't melt as fast and creates a dam to direct melting snow in, where rain water runs off.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Gotta go with @Will Gilmore on this one Terry. I've got sky-lights in my workshop that only leak when it snows enough. Fortunately that's not very often!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Thanks. Must give those suggestions some consideration and thought.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Condensate loves to form on “skylights” we found that they rained on us last year on our winter cruise. Also on the inside of the glass port lights.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
If you only had a gallon or so, i would guess it was more condensation than actual water leaking but it is just a guess. Humidity inside the boat along with cool nights and sun shinny days adds up to a lot of condensate.

Also, while rain runs off snow tends to stay and have time to freeze (open a hairline crack) and thaw, run into the crack.

On my boat, only 1 gallon wouldn’t rise to the level of needing to be solved. Too many other projects on a 40 year old oat,

Good luck and fair winds

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
That’s the boat’s way of telling you not to leave it in the snow, next time it be the berth.

Aug 29, 2018
Hunter 420 Passage Sv
I have a 420 Passsge and I have been getting small amounts of water coming in the stern Hatches including the locking mechanisms.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
Snow piles up... liquid water generally doesn't... snow (and ice/slush) can block/seal cockpit and deck drains, and dorade vents, and all sorts of things that don't leak during summer rainfall. Imagine a foot of wet/slushy snow in your cockpit... as the top layer melts (or rain falls on it) could it leak into your companionway? The slight bevel of my companionway slats is enough to keep running rainwater out, but not enough to be essentially submerged inches below a puddle and keep a water-tight seal... Audio speakers, ignition switches, throttle controls, and all sorts of other things in cockpits are generally good at fending off vertically-falling raindrops or splashes, but are no match for piling/drifting snow. Also keep in mind that When you get a foot of snow... the wind might move the snow around such that some spots have 1" and other spots have 2 or 3 feet... especially if your boat (as most sailboats are) is located in a flat/windy area... like near an ocean or lake. The office building window where I'm currently sitting nearly always has a view of snow "falling" up during storms due to the wind blowing across the building in various directions... but the rain in summer storms never falls up. I could easily imagine snow blowing in through dorade vents... between companionway slats... into cockpit lockers... etc... in ways rain never falls. If you had 50 gallons, I'd be pretty worried... 1 though? Nah... I wouldn't spend time hunting down that source.