OXICLEAN ON SAILS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

I've was wondering if anyone had ever given any thought to using oxyclean on their sails. The stuff is supposed to be an oxidizing agent and not a harsh chemical. I'm sure everyone has seen it on TV. I have used the stuff on ordinary clothing and it is pretty good at getting stains out with no long term effects on the material. My idea was to get a kiddie pool & fill it with water & enough of the Oxi-clean to make a large mixture & then soak my sails in it in the garage. Has anyone ever seen this done, thought of it, or know any reasons why it won't work? I really hope someone can shed some light here for me as I'm not a chemist or a sailmaker! Thanks in advance David s/v "Cracklin' Rose"

M

Michael Hagerman

Great Minds!

Great minds think in the same direction. My wife has been practically inhaling Oxi-Clean or Oxi-G for our new baby's bibs, etc. I looked at the label on their laundry detergent and it's supposed to be safe for every fabric. Since it's bleach free and just works with activated oxygen, I would think a sail would love it. Barring a chemist's opinion, maybe try it out on an old sail or a small section of the sail first and watch for the results. We might also compare it to the ingredients of the sail cleaning solutions that West sells. Let me know....

D

David

I agree

I agree with what you have said! I just wish that someone else had an opinion or experience as I don't have to many old sails just laying around for possible sacrifice. I'll keep you informed of any trials if you do the same. Deal?

M

Michael Hagerman

OxyClean Mystery

I'll try it on my old main and advise you. However we just had 6 inches of snow up here in the Boston area so it may be a few weeks before I can run the test. My wife swears by the stuff - it gets the nasty stains out of baby's bibs, among other things. And think of the money we could save on sail cleaning!

Status
Not open for further replies.