Overland boat transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GERRY FRIG

Does anyone have experience with shipping a larger boat (Mine is a P42) across the USA? I'm interested in moving my boat from the Toledo, OH area to Florida (Ft. Lauderdale?) Also does anyone know of a good marina in the Ft. Lauderdale area where services are good and rates reasonable? We have relatives (non-boating) in the area and would like to begin our Caribbean adventures there.

G

Gary Jensen

transporting your boat

I just did what you are doing. In Feb.2000, I bought a boat in Flordia, decommissioned it and shipped it to Ca., where I recommissioned it. email me and I can send you all the info you will need. It was my very first time and it worked out well. Gary sail1752@aol.com

P

Paul Akers

Cruisingworld has an article.

A couple of months ago, Cruisingworld had an article about transporting boats. It got quite detailed on how to select a hauler. Check it out. If you don't have any luck finding it, contact me (Owner's Forum) and I'll mail you a copy of the article.

E

Ed Schenck

Sail(motor) or transport?

I am curious if you considered taking her down by water as a reply in your earlier query suggested? I know of a P42 that came up the Hudson and through the Erie Canal and have read of several. So I am considering the option with my H37C. It's a chore to unstep/step on each end of the canal but you have to do the same to transport. Time and $$$ are the issues.

D

Dave

A BB to try...

Try this bunch of serious sailors at: http://www.sailingworld.com/cgi-bin/genlmesg.pl?#63987 Firsthand info at best price (free), from what I've seen. Suspect you will get great transport and FLA marina info- Dave

T

terry dornan

Call This Guy

I Used and was very pleased with- Great Lakes Boat Transfer- out of German Town Wisconsin. He has a fleet of "Flotation Trailers" which enables you to avoid the hoist costs and event timing on each end the transfer. They move in water shows a great deal and you may be able to coordinate time of moves with one of the in water shows in Sandusky, Cleveland, or Toledo. I timed my move with a turn around he was doing on the east coast. If I remember his limit per trailer is about 60'-0 The really slick part of the system is that it is and extremely low trailer and can handle very deep keels and high topsides easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.