Overheated Universal Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2009
2 Catalina 30' Nyack, New York
Catalina 30 universal diesel overheats and dumps antifreeze into bilge. Prior to starting engine, I topped-off with anitfreeze. 2 hours later temperature climbs and had to turn engine off. Mechanic (over the phone) implied that I could have overfilled the with anitfreeze which caused an air bubble - which led to the overheating. Several attempts to "bleed" engine failed. Each time antifreeze is spilled into the bilge....

Can't figure out why or where it's coming from?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 30 Seabrook Texas
Only four things come to mind:
1. Air in system as Stu says
2. Clogged hose in fresh water side
3. Thermostat
4. Clogged raw water side, strainer, valve, hose

You need to find where the antifreeze is coming from. How much antifreeze? How quickly does the temperature rise? Did it take two hours to overheat? What speed (rpm) were you running when overheating occurs? Is water coming out the exhaust? Something wrong on the raw water side will cause overheating. Just questions to get more information to narrow areas to look at and rule out others. Stu hopefully is right.

I have not had experience with problems on the fresh water side, only on raw water side due to a clogged heat exchanger inlet. I rna at 1500 rpm with slight steam and 20 degree increase in temp, run at 1800 rpm and overheated quickly.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Coupla other things to check

Raw water inlet - strainer and thru hull - get to the thru hull while in the water by using a dinghy foot pump on the hose and blow back thru; easiest to do from the rw pump end

Manifold pressure cap - has it been replaced - could be leaking a bit; sources, see: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5008.0.html

Aug 27, 2007
- - Pasadena Md
There is a lot of advise for Universal overheating, some good some just a waste of time. You need to understand the system. There are two distinct systems for cooling the engine, The fresh water system and the raw water system. Heat from the combustion chamber as well as the exhaust manifold is transferred to the fresh water cooling system. Heat is then transferred to the raw water cooling system by way of the heat exchanger. The heated raw water is then discharged through the exhaust which is why you see water coming out of the exhaust. It is imparative that the raw water system is working correctly, through hole inlet not clogged, all hoses not clogged or collapsed (you won't be able to tell from the outside), the impeller is in good shape, the heat exchanger is clean and clear of obstruction. The fresh water system must have absoutely no leaks, a pressure test and close inspection should tell you. The engine temperature should be no more than 160 to 180 degree's at moderate speed. If you push it to full throttle for a long period of time it is common to reach or exceed 200 degree's. It is not advisable to operate at this temperature as boil over and engine damage can occure. I have learned that the orinal heat exchanger for some universal eninge was underdesigned. A larger heat exchanger is available at lencocoolers.com for a reasonable price. By the way I am currenlty experimenting with adding an electrically driven pump in parallel with the mechanical raw water pump. One issue with that is wiring it so it will never operate when the engine is not running as it will flood the cylenders and prevet the engine from turning over and could cause damage if the water isn't first evacuated.
Recommendations:
1. Flush the through hule inlet backward or remove the hose momentarily open the valve and force rod or heavy wire through it and close the valve.
2. Install a new impeller
3. Clean and inspect the heat exchanger.
4. Disconnect the raw water discharge from where it enters the exhaust system, using a small containern start the engine (no more than a couple of minutes) and time how long it takes to fill to 1 or 2 gallons. I should be able to produce at least 3 - 5 gallons a minute at medium throttle.
5. Be sure the fresh water system is full, the my reservior is a clear container located in the port cockpit locker (it has a full line). start the engine and open the vent on top of the engine until you see coolant leaking out.
6. Use the engine while watching the temperature and level in the reservior.
I hope my comments help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.