outhaul slide or clew slug

May 13, 2013
Hunter 336 Windsor
my clew slug broke mid sail.. I need to replace it.
I've seen some outhaul slides that incorporate the slug with the outhaul.
they connect the clew of the sail to the track in the z-spar boom track (where a bolt rope would slide).
my main is loose footed..
its a 336.. is it a 3/8" boltrope track?
what have you used? what do you like?
cheers
reuben

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Spectra strap on the boom is what we use to hold the clue vertically from the boom. Then the outhaul just "pull's it back" (i.e., not really "down").

It's multi-layers with velcro. You can adjust it and remove it easily.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I have a loose foot main with slug
If I understand what your situation is, you used to have a slug why the clue cringle was connected to; but it broke. Now you are essentially “loose clewed”. You can either replace the slug, or consider what a of larger boats use: A long Spectra strap which has Velcro on it. It t is wound around the boom and the vecro overlaps the belt on two (or whatever) wraps. It functions like a lose belt. The belt slide along the boom. Pulled aft by the outhaul.
Your other option, is to tie a short line suitable strength which loops the boom, and does the same thing. It will tend to abrade the boom (unlike the Spectra strap or belt).

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
:plus: For the velcro strap! Works like a charm, easy to install and definitely cheaper than a slug. The only problem I've experienced with the velcro strap is that, in high winds, the pressure on the strap becomes too much for it to slide forward with outhaul slack. A little Vasoline solves this problem!