Outhaul car on Selden Boom

Jul 3, 2018
Hunter 386 Comox
Hello, on our H386 with in mast furling main I've noticed that the car seems to get a bit stuck sometimes. On inspection I found that if I push the car over to starboard a bit it jams up. I've removed the car from the boom and it seems in pretty decent shape. The wheels are slightly worn but I expected to see much worse.

I figure I may as well replace the wheels and put in calls to the local Hunter dealer (no response) and also into a local chandlery listed as a Selden dealer. Again, no response. Aside - what's the deal with such crappy service lately? (This on Vancouver Island)

Just curious if anyone else has run into a similar problem and might have advice? Does anyone know if Selden makes these parts?

My boom car has 6 vertical wheels Part No. 504-500, and 4 horizontal wheels Part No. 504-501.

thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I had a 386 for many years and now 46. I have replaced other parts but not parts B2 and B3 on your in-mast furling boom. I would go ahead and replace the parts, if you can, and if not find a rigger familiar with the Selden mast and boom. In the meantime, if you get it resolved please let the forum know in the event others encounter the same issue.

Doubtful Hunter or Selden dealers do service, especially on rigging, unless they are a rigger. Most riggers I know in San Francisco Bay are also Selden distributors and can do this work.

1624224416961.png

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018
Hunter 386 Comox
Thanks. Replacing the wheels is easy. I just need the parts and find it frustrating that no one is returning my calls. I've reinstalled everything for now, and have decided that the car isn't really the main issue with my furler. I think the problem is more related to the blocks on the deck between cockpit and furler. I'll check this out when I get time.

Dec 1, 2020
Hunter 44 DS Deale, MD
Hello, on our H386 with in mast furling main I've noticed that the car seems to get a bit stuck sometimes. On inspection I found that if I push the car over to starboard a bit it jams up. I've removed the car from the boom and it seems in pretty decent shape. The wheels are slightly worn but I expected to see much worse.
Hi, I'm wondering if you have an update for this. I'm having the same issue. The car binds when pushed to starboard, but not to port.

Were you able to find the replacement wheels anywhere?

Thanks!

Mar 16, 2021
hunter 41 DS tacoma
Sailboat Owners has ordered it. I have never accidentally gybed this boat, but I bought it out of the LA charter fleet 18 months ago & have completely restored mechanical/electrical/rigging/ground tackle. I’ve had my eye on the fatigue of this car for a while. I subjected it to 15-20 reach recently. That was when it pulled apart.

Wind is now so light, I’m using a nice jury rig until the part shows up. Attached

Attachments

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I had a 386 for many years and now 46. I have replaced other parts but not parts B2 and B3 on your in-mast furling boom. I would go ahead and replace the parts, if you can, and if not find a rigger familiar with the Selden mast and boom. In the meantime, if you get it resolved please let the forum know in the event others encounter the same issue.

Doubtful Hunter or Selden dealers do service, especially on rigging, unless they are a rigger. Most riggers I know in San Francisco Bay are also Selden distributors and can do this work.

View attachment 195433
Just curious, how did you remove the boom car? Which end of the boom will it slide out? I think we have the same boom on our Jeanneau, but not sure.