Outboard Transom Mount

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
Hi Guys
I am looking to replace the outboard mount on my 22...over time, the old one has just gotten harder to lift to the point where it is pretty much non functional. The motor is a Yamaha 6HP 4 stroke. I did a search but but the results were a mixed bag. If anyone would care to offer what they are using, I would be grateful.

Thanks
Ken

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I would avoid one with a plastic mount unless it's a reputable brand name. I've had two Chinese plastic mounts break. The first one snapped within 24 hours of the first use and my motor went for a swim. The molded plastic had so much air inside it that it looked like a sponge. The second mount I caught before it snapped. I switched from plastic to green outdoor lumber. No issues since then

Pay attention to how far away from the hull it puts your motor. If it's too close, you wont be able to tip it up

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I have the 3 spring version of the Catalina Direct motor mount for the C-22. I also have a heavy 9.9 Tohatsu motor hanging on it. Motor weighs 95 pounds. It works great with that combination of weight and I really like the mount. It is easy to move up and down and the motor can tilt without any interference from the mount to get it all that way out of the water.

That said I would get the 2 Spring version for 6 hp motor. I tried my 6 horse Tohatsu on the 3 spring mount and I could not get the mount to down all the way due to the tension of the 3 springs. The mount is really superior to any on the market that I have seen. The mount is a bit pricy but I think it was worth it.

Dano

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you for the info! I looked at the Catalina Direct mount you have...the photo looks like what I have on the boat now. Mine is a 2 spring...I imagine over time, the springs lose tension. I am hoping to replace it with something that has the same "mounting pattern"...

Sep 8, 2022
Catalina 22 Green Bay
I disassembled my entire mount and had Delvin bushings and washers machined. Previously the mount was so loose it was barely usable. The springs are not replaceable, I’d look at a gas shock(s) modification.

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Good ideas and thank you! Since I began this thread, a new boat has arrived on the horizon...The 22 will most likely be leaving our family soon...