outboard tank fuel connector ID

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
I just got a second tank for my tohatsu outboard and need the connector for it. The fuel line has been replaced so I'm not sure if what I have is the stock tohatsu connector. How do you tell the difference between a tohatsu or chrysler (or honda or suzuki) style connector? Or are they all the same?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I just got a second tank for my tohatsu outboard and need the connector for it. The fuel line has been replaced so I'm not sure if what I have is the stock tohatsu connector. How do you tell the difference between a tohatsu or chrysler (or honda or suzuki) style connector? Or are they all the same?
Are you talking about the quick connect at the tank or the connect at the O.B. end of the fuel line? Pics help.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Are you talking about the quick connect at the tank or the connect at the O.B. end of the fuel line? Pics help.
The tank end. Round quick connect like an air hose. I'll take a pic this afternoon.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I don't think they are all the same. I bought a N.O.S. Suzuki metal tank last year that used that kind of connector, and the first connector I bought didn't fit.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
I don't think they are all the same. I bought a N.O.S. Suzuki metal tank last year that used that kind of connector, and the first connector I bought didn't fit.
Shopping online they look very similar but have different part numbers. I didn't see any guides on how to tell them apart. Worst case I buy 3 fittings: 2 tank ends 1 hose end, but that seems like a waste.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Can you measure the diameter of the connector on the can?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It's been a while, but for the can that came with the Honda 8, I had to get a connector from one of the other manufactured outboard. Can't the OP take a connectore to the store- maybe even like K Mart for a trial fitting? Even if the diameter is the same, that does not mean the grove is where you need it.

Sep 25, 2019
CATALINA C27 Lk Norman NC
I ran into the same thing......They even have different sizes between tank and motor.....The parts manuals are available online from Tohatsu, that's how I found mine.....

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
They are not the same. I had a 3 gal tank for a Honda that I repurposed for my tohatsu. I had to buy the metal quick disconnect for the Tohatsu and install it on the tank.

Do a google thing for "Tohatsu Quick Disconnect"