Outboard recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2006
Catalina 309 Cutter Marina, Chesapeake Bay
I'm in the market for a new outboard. I have my eyes on a 4HP 4 stroke Nissan or Tohatsu. Interested in hearing any comments or recommendations on either of these outboards for the Catalina 22. I sail on inland lakes and like the idea of an integral tank motor with F-N-R capability. Also, until now I have been using a 3.5hp Mercury (2 stroke)with a standard short shaft (15"). The length has not been an issue (15" is fine with my lowering motor mount), so I can stay with a short shaft unless recommended otherwise. Thanks in advance!

A

Al Hughes

Outboard Motor

I have a Tohatsu 6 Hp 4 stroke for my Catalina 22. This motor works great. The motor has the long shaft, the motor just sips gas. I have the 3 gal tank that came with the motor, I have never gone below 1/2 tank in any of my outings with our sailing club. I am using the #8 prop 7.9 X 7.9 pitch, this pushes me along at the 5 knot hull speed with great economy. I use the external tank so I can get the cheep Gas at any service station ($2.45) as the dock pumps are over ($3.00)out here. You can get an Alternator as an add on. Tohatsu, Nissan, Mercury and one other in the 4, 5, 6 hp are made by the same company. My sailing friend has a Nissan and likes it too. Check all of them out. I use the long shaft to keep the motor in the water when I am in the 3 foot chop the the San Francisco Bay can generate. I hope that this helps you. AL

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Tohatsu, Nissan, Mercury all the same

They are all made by Tohatu and the only difference is the decal on the cowl. I had a Nissan 6hp 20" shaft on my C22 and it was wonderful (and also said "manufactured by Tohatsu" on the box). Go to onlineoutboards.com for a great price and free shipping. I paid the extra $15 for the Nissan because I thought it would have better resale value. But again, it is the EXACT same motor as the Tohatsu and Mercury. You want an external tank. The internal may seem appealing but it is small and you'll end up pouring gas into a hot motor while on the boat and that is a big no-no.

Status
Not open for further replies.