outboard quits when in gear after about 30 yards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2006
- - Eagle Creek
Just launched last weekend and had a near disaster. My fairly new Merc four stroke 6hp outboard quit about 30 yards from the ramp in a high wind. We got pushed into the slips and into a couple boats with outboards tilted up. Yikes! I got some good scratches. The darn thing will run all day in neutral at high revs. But try and go anywhere, and it will quit. After a couple fast restarts we got it into my slip. I'm wondering if I got the vent on the tank all the way open? Bad spark plug or wire? It's only three years old. And after sitting all winter it started on the second pull! I just put in new gas too. And I always run it out of gas at the end of the day.

J

John Hill

Check the line between tank and engine

I had a similar problem once upon a time and it turned out to be a small break in the fuel line. Make sure it's not pinched and check connections closely.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Vent/Heat

Beery: A quick way to check out the vent is to run it in gear for a ways with the gas cap completley removed or at least real loose. Also be sure your water pump is pushing a stream of water out the back, If not you could be vapor locking because of overheating. RK

W

watercolors

Auxiliary power

Auxiliary power should be ready at all times in case of engine failure. A head sail or the main should be not covered up and ready going and coming. Do not lower yourself to motorboat status. Also, an anchor should be ready. Just a couple days ago in south central PA a fishing rboat failed to get the motor started in time, boat went over a dam on the river and a young girl was lost. If your motors starts but, will not continue to run then you have a fuel supply problem.

Jul 26, 2006
- - Eagle Creek
close quarters decisions when the engine quits

Thanks to all who replied. I found the problem tonight. The vent did appear to be open. The tank did not hiss when I removed the cap after sitting in the heat all day. So it was vented. However, hanging upside down, it looked like the fuel line was not all the way into the tank fitting. Sure enough a good push on the line resulted in a "click" of the latch. It must have been pulling enough air under load to kill the engine. Lesson learned. I feel Watercolors comments, however well intended, were off base and offensive. I would never second guess another skippers actions unless I was there. I was in a very narrow channel (30 feet at the widest) between rows of slips in high wind. Jib was ready to unfurl. Anchoring would have been worthless as the row was so narrow I would have hit stern first with no way to fend off. If the anchor even held. Best bet was to drift into helping hands and be guided into an empty slip. Given the ten seconds I had to react I feel I made the right decision and would do the same thing again. Every situation is different and to second guess is worthless.

Oct 7, 2004
- - Melvern Lake - Kansas
Plan B

However, while it won't work in all situations, it is prudent to have a sail and anchor ready if needed. As a general rule, Watercolors advice is sound. Also, maybe in your situation having a boat hook ready would have helped avoid a few scratches. It is good to hear you had a simple fix to your gas problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.