Outboard question for Catalina 27 owners

akulsp

Jan 8, 2023
Macgregor 26d Nampa
I'm researching a new outboard and am wondering....What size outboard do other owners use? Will it push your boat to hull speed? How much will wind and tide slow you down?

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Back to SBO. Appears you have left Alaska for Nampa ID. Now with the Catalina 27 you will be sailing the Puget Sound. Lots of fun is coming this summer.

Did your boat come with an outboard? Most 27's were built with an inboard engine.

The Catalina 27 will be a lot different from the Macgregor 26d listed in your avatar. You have a displacement hull now. The theoretical top speed is 6.25 kt's. You get out in 15 foot waves and 30 kt's of wind you may find yourself exceeding that speed, but likely not enjoying it.

With the hull speed limits, you will need to utilize your navigation skills in the Puget Sound. Avoid trying to fight against the tide when it is running faster through the passages than 6 knots even if you can fit a 300hp outboard on your boat. This can happen in the major tidal passages like Deception Passage or Tacoma Narrows.

An easy to use tool to help you with navigation and understanding of tidal currents is DeepZoom.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Inboard engines became an option later on in the production run, the earlier boats came with outboards in a well at the aft end. Inboards on both C25s & C27s were problematic, since they were small, had tight clearances and literally horrible access to the engines and the stuffing boxes.

The "thing" to watch out for when planning on an outboard engine for a C27 with the AFT WELL are the clearances for raising the engine, since newer outboards have larger cowls and literally don't fit in the well which was designed for older 2 stroke engine sizes.

You can learn at LOT more specifically about C27s at their owners association IO group, here:

Good luck and welcome to the area.

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I wouldn't go over 10 hp, an 8 would probably be more than enough in most cases.

Weight and hp are considerations. The 4 stroke outboards are significantly heavier than the old 2 strokes. Not sure if the boat could carry the weight of a heavier 15 hp 4 stroke.

akulsp

Jan 8, 2023
Macgregor 26d Nampa
I wouldn't go over 10 hp, an 8 would probably be more than enough in most cases.

Weight and hp are considerations. The 4 stroke outboards are significantly heavier than the old 2 strokes. Not sure if the boat could carry the weight of a heavier 15 hp 4 stroke.
Thanks, Dave. That's exactly the information I'm trying to gather.

akulsp

Jan 8, 2023
Macgregor 26d Nampa
Welcome Back to SBO. Appears you have left Alaska for Nampa ID. Now with the Catalina 27 you will be sailing the Puget Sound. Lots of fun is coming this summer.

Did your boat come with an outboard? Most 27's were built with an inboard engine.

The Catalina 27 will be a lot different from the Macgregor 26d listed in your avatar. You have a displacement hull now. The theoretical top speed is 6.25 kt's. You get out in 15 foot waves and 30 kt's of wind you may find yourself exceeding that speed, but likely not enjoying it.

With the hull speed limits, you will need to utilize your navigation skills in the Puget Sound. Avoid trying to fight against the tide when it is running faster through the passages than 6 knots even if you can fit a 300hp outboard on your boat. This can happen in the major tidal passages like Deception Passage or Tacoma Narrows.

An easy to use tool to help you with navigation and understanding of tidal currents is DeepZoom.
I'm still in Alaska, and in Idaho. I keep a power boat I built in Hoonah, which I modeled after a 22' C-dory, so the hull specs and cabin are nearly identical to it. It's about 1000# lighter though and I really feel it when wave height increases. The MacGregor was several years ago, but the website requires a boat to be listed, so I plugged it in. It also will get slammed around when seas increase. I spent about 10 years on Prince William Sound with it, so tides and winds I know well. There have been plenty of times I've had to outrun a squall and duck for cover up narrow passages regardless of how strong the tide was. The 9.9 on the MacGregor never failed, but it's a light boat. I don't have a Catalina 27 either, but I now have a sailboat of very similar dimensions and weight, hence my reason for soliciting responses from Cat 27 owners. I've been getting conflicting info on different boats- one captain saying that a 9.9 will push an 8000# Cal 29 (for example) at hull speed at half throttle, and their is plenty of power left for those duck and cover situations. Another sailor claims the same of his 8600# Islander 30. Yet, I chatted with a Sun 27 owner who says he can cruise at 5 knots if it's a calm day, also with a 9.9 (I'm assuming it has a clean bottom). If Cat 27 owners find a 9.9 to be enough power in most situation then that's what I'll go with, since I would rather not have to go up to a 15 horse.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Take it from a Catalina 27 owner. Optimal set up is Tohatsu 10 or 15 HP (they weigh almost the same because they use the same block). Tohatsu makes the most reliable small engines, (they also make all Nissans and Mercurys under 30h[)
You want high thrust prop since the boat will only be traveling 6 mph or less and the regular prop won't get the motor to run in its optimal power range. You'll actually get better mileage this way.
You also should get electric start and remote control box. All of tohatsu's motors can be converted to remote control, but they don't sell them configured that way under 10 hp. In other words you'd have to buy the tiller model and spend another 500 or so for the remote gear.

Power tilt is popular on small motors used by fishermen as "kickers", but the additional weight added to the stern is NOT popular with sailors. I'd be very sure about this option, but If it's in the budget and the boat is stout enough I would consider it. You'd have a beautiful set up,

If you want to make comparisons, including prices, check out www.onlineoutboards.com

Oh, BTW. There is no need to present yourself as something other than what you are. You are simply a person interested in outboard motors for sailboat. Good luck.

• Helpful
Feb 22, 2023
Catalina 28 Middle river, md
I'm researching a new outboard and am wondering....What size outboard do other owners use? Will it push your boat to hull speed? How much will wind and tide slow you down?

Thanks!
I had a 25 for a long time. Catalina a called for 8 to 10 and my 10 was plenty. I think the 27 was about 6500 ponds opposed to me 25 at 4200. I would imagine a 10 would work on a 27 but a little biget might be nice. Call catalina for info.