outboard on mount while towing

Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
i will be driving 500 miles to pic up my 87 capri 18. it has a 2009 mercury 5 hp 4 stroke on it. with the stock (big stainless steel) motor mount would it be safe to tow the boat with the motor on the mount? the owner recommends putting the motor in the trunk of my car. i think the motor weighs about 50 lbs

Feb 4, 2012
catilina 22 Roanoke,VA
Only leave it there if you like fiberglass repairs! That weight bouncing around will tear up the transom, mount and motor. If you are only going a couple of miles on smooth roads at low speeds then OK, otherwise it is cheaper to take it off.

Apr 6, 2014
pretty much what i figured rb. on my com-pac i had an old cruise and carry 2 horse that i always left on it, but then i dont think that weighed 20 lbs. thanks for the input

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Put some kind of backplate on inside of transom and ratchet up the motor to take care if the bounce and you should be good to go.

Attachments

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Lot's of discussions and opinions on this subject. All I can relate to is my own experience. I don't remove my outboards when trailering. I've been doing this for years, with my original C-22 with a 6 HP Johnson, our Capri-18 with a 6 HP Nissan, and our current C-22 MK-II with first a 5 HP Honda, and currently we have a 6 HP Tohatsu. I use a ratchet strap and pull the engine up tight,(very tight) so it can't "bounce" around. It's not the weight, but the bouncing that causes problems in my opinion. I've used this method for years, the motor mounts were factory stock, and I've never had a problem. It's just one less thing to have to remove and re-install, and todays 4-strokes are happier left verticle if you can. Last year we trailered to the C-22 National's in Florida. By the time we returned to San Diego, we towed the boat with the motor attached for 6,000 miles. Add a trip to the Havasu Pocket Cruiser Convention, and others trips, and we trailered over 7,000 miles last year. Our Capri-18 was towed several thousand miles a year going back and forth to Havasu, and other sailing adventures. The photos show the boat as we're pulling out going to Florida, then as we're crossing the mountains in Colorado, and driving down the strip in Vegas on our way back to San Diego. Just one guy who's have nothing but a positive experience leaving the outboard where it belongs.

Well, it looks like I got the right photo files the second time.... :D

Don

Attachments

Apr 6, 2014
don, your rachet strap idea makes sense, but what do you strap it to on a capri 18? like you i would like to decrease rather than increase my rigging time. thanks

Nov 19, 2008
Been gone for a few days on the boat, but anyway I mounted one end of the ratchet strap to the rear cleat, the other end was attached to a stainless steel eye bolt used on the C-22 for installing an adjustable backstay. I was going to install one on my Capri-18 until I realized how much I would lose in simplicity of her rigging and complicate it. Catalina installes a bronze plate in the transom on the C-22's and the Capri-18's and 22's to install this option. I drilled and tapped the hole for the eye bolt. Catalina Direct sells a kit, but you don't need to spend all that money. You can purchase a proper eye bolt for rigging from a decent sailing supply store,(don't use one from Home Depot, it won't work for the stress you'll place on it). Sail Louis Sailing should have it. Just duplicate the eye bolt mount on the startboard side where the back stay attaches using the same distance off centerline and you'll hit the bronze plate for tapping. I sealed it all with some 3M 5200 on the threads as I screwed it into place.

Don

Apr 6, 2014
thanks don

Been gone for a few days on the boat, but anyway I mounted one end of the ratchet strap to the rear cleat, the other end was attached to a stainless steel eye bolt used on the C-22 for installing an adjustable backstay. I was going to install one on my Capri-18 until I realized how much I would lose in simplicity of her rigging and complicate it. Catalina installes a bronze plate in the transom on the C-22's and the Capri-18's and 22's to install this option. I drilled and tapped the hole for the eye bolt. Catalina Direct sells a kit, but you don't need to spend all that money. You can purchase a proper eye bolt for rigging from a decent sailing supply store,(don't use one from Home Depot, it won't work for the stress you'll place on it). Sail Louis Sailing should have it. Just duplicate the eye bolt mount on the startboard side where the back stay attaches using the same distance off centerline and you'll hit the bronze plate for tapping. I sealed it all with some 3M 5200 on the threads as I screwed it into place.

Don
hey don, appreciate all of your help. i bought an 87 capri 18 in near perfect condition with excellent equipment but when i got it home it dawned on me that this is just too much boat for us. so sadly im going to put her up for sale. which is a shame as i have never seen a nicer sailboat. it is in almost new condition both inside and out. i will probably advertise it here and on sailing texas soon. i just wanted to tell you how much i appreciated your help

Nov 19, 2008
Sorry to hear, they are a GREAT boat. Try listing it on Craigslist in St. Louis, Kansas City, Des Moines, and Springfield MO for the folks at Lake Stockton. Take plenty of photo's of everything to show prospective buyers.

Don

Apr 6, 2014

Sorry to hear, they are a GREAT boat. Try listing it on Craigslist in St. Louis, Kansas City, Des Moines, and Springfield MO for the folks at Lake Stockton. Take plenty of photo's of everything to show prospective buyers.

Don
don, we will probably work at it for a month and see if we can rig and launch it ok and sail her a little. it did come with the catalina mast raising stuff (gin pole and mast crutch do dad). if its too much of a hassle we will go back to the com-pac 16, thanks for the advice