Outboard motor on a Catalina 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Mattson

I currently a beach catamaran sailor, looking to get into monohulls. My employment will be taking me away from home about 3 or 4 days a week, and I have decided to dock a boat near my work location as a 2nd home. (Currently on a liveaboard slip waiting list). After looking at numerous models of boats, I have settled on either a Catalina 30 or Rawson 30. I have a particular Catalina 30 in mind, however it is outfitted with an outboard motor, and has had its inboard removed. (The removal looks very well done, not a "chop job"). My concern is the issue of the gasoline outboard vs. a diesel inboard. Primarily, I am concerned about the storage of gasoline. I will need the fuel for the motor, and presume I would need to carry a small portable generator for any extended trips. For me, an "extended trip" would be 3 or 4 days to the Channel Islands National Park, which I have visited extensively by beach cat over the past 4 years. Other concerns include the performance issues in regard to the outboard (positive or negative), and the obvious negatives in regard to using it in rough seas, although I would most likely be under sail in those conditions. Any commments would be sincerely appreciated. While I am an experienced sailor, I am a novice in regard to monohulls of this size. Bill Mattson Santa Maria, CA

B

Bob

Good Transom For an Outboard

Seeing an outboard on large sailboats was always unusual, but talk about thrifty! We have a guy who has a Honda 7.5 on his Ericson 36 and he could not be happier. The transom on the Cat 30 is nice and flat that would easily allow the installation of an outboard bracket for a 8 - 15 horse outobard. The set up of remote throttle and gear controls though would take some creativity, if your seeking control from he cockpit.The helmsman seat locker would be a good place for gas storage (presently alcohol or propane stove tankage), but would require good ventilation including a blower to get a handle on any fumes. The big trick to me would be the controls as you cannot bend over to reach the hand throttle or gear changer without falling off the boat! Honda outboards are outstanding by the way. Good luck Bob

Jun 4, 2004
- - Orange Park, FL
always compromises

I agree the stern on a C30 would work well with an outboard. While you know about the issue of the outboard coming out of the water in choppy seas, I would have two more concerns: 1) that outboard will not do much good charging your batteries, which means a generator as you mentioned or solar panels, both an added expense. 2) Many times I been in conditions where having the inboard in rough weather was a real bonus, no way the outboard could have stayed in the water enough to be effective. Sometimes it is very important to be able to get the nose into the wind to reduce/strike sails, etc. Bob's comment about outboard cockpit controls is right on, it would be next to impossible to control the outboard hanging over the stern while entering a slip. Adding the controls isn't cheap, either. Finally, consider how hard the boat will be for you to sell. Having an outboard on a C-30 will eliminate most C30 prospects, but if the boat is a steal, it might make a great liveaboard. Good Luck.

C

Chris

outboard on 30

I have has an Irwin 30. It is 10,000 pounds, probally close to a cat 30. I have a yamaha 9.9 high thrust with an 25 inch shaft. The boat has a 30 gallon built in tank. Which I like because it is tied down and is vented. Many of this boats had atomic four engines which are gas when they were built back in the 70's. The engine pushes the boat with ease. Problems I have are the engine does come out of the water, but this is mainly when going slow. Once boat gets to hull speed the swell the boat puts out as it pushes the water usually keeps the prop in the water. To flush engine is hard to do. I put earmuffs on the water intake. Wish I would of bought the yamaha 8 high thrust. Has the water connection is up by gas connection and it has electric tilt. I do not have controls for it. Was going to get them but since I back into slip(trying to prevent someone from stealing it) I found it easier to put rudder amidships and use engine to steer boat. With all this said I wish I could found a used diesel somewhere. But what I have does work.

B

Bill Mattson

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input on this. The help and advice I am getting from Catalina owners reinforces my decision to go for the Catalina. You've all given me issues to think about in regard to the outboard, and as a result, am looking at other boats. (This particular boat remains on my list, though.) I am sure I will be back here with more questions, once I end up owning a Catalina. Thanks again, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.