Outboard motor advice 1984 - 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jan Delbert

I recently bought a 1984 MacGregor 22, my first sailboat, equipped with a Mariner 4hp motor 2-cycle. Can anyone tell me the maximum size motor that I can use with this boat? Too, I am interested in manufacturer recommendations should I decide to upgrade. I'd love not having to mix the oil and gas and wouldn't mind a key start option. Thank you.

B

Bryon Thomas

Outboard Size for 22'

Jan, A 22' MAC can handle up to a 10 HP motor Bryon

J

Jan Delbert

thank you

Thank you, Bryon. I appreciate you getting back to me. It seems like Honda motors, Japanese motors, get high marks from their owners.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Power for Venture 22

Your average 22-footer will use about a 7.5-HP motor. The old Evinrude 7.5 'Sail-Twin' was perfect for this application. I think it's called an 8 now. Ten HP is far more than you need. Excessive power will rattle the poor thing apart. Sometimes it will even cause a folding outboard bracket to bend, jam, or push through the transom. It won't be really dramatic till you can't swing it up any more or you notice dents (white spiders) in the gelcoat round the bolts. A Macgregor Venture is an unusually lightweight and easily-driven boat. I would say 6 HP is plenty. Remember you shouldn't expect more than about 6 knots; only MUCH more power (and like twice the fuel consumption) will get it going even a knot or two faster. JC

J

Jan Delbert

thanks jc

I appreciate your insight and you taking the time to give it to me.

C

Captain One Eye Winkie

Motor size

I have a honda 7.5 horse motor on my boat. The motor brackit will hold up to a 20 horse 2cycle. It holds my 7.5 4cycle just fine. a 4cycle is heavyer than a 2cycle the7.5 is to heavy for me to carry around, I also have an 3hp 2cyce sears air clooed I like it, it's not to heavy for me to carry. A 3hp, well work ok on a 22ft. ok ocean or lake. Ive done it no problem's. The honda is a hole lot quieter than the old sears. Wich I like a lot!!. I thank the next motor I buy well be a 5 hp. 4cycle That I can carry. The old sears I can leave it on and tow the boat. I lash it down so it wront bounce around. The honda is to heavy to leave on the motor bracket, and tow.I hope this help's. Good Sailing Captain One Eye Winkie

J

Jan Delbert

Thanks Captain

The Hondas seems to get rave reviews. Happy sailing!

J

Jerry

Outboard Advice

Due to a recent theft, I had to buy a motor. Most dealers even said, "Don't do Johnson/Evenrude" right now. They've been bought out by Bombardier (misspelled?)and are having trouble. Nissan and Tohatsu are the same maker. Have good 3 year warranties. I got a Nissan 9.8, 2-cycle for several reasons. price, weight, 12 volt altenator, and an extended-long shaft. Hondas are good, but major $$$$$$$. I've had Mercury/Mariner/Force outboards and was not happy. Also, their 9.9 had only a 6 volt charger. The Yamaha 4 stroke has very good reviews, and costs less that the Honda. Better warranty (if I remember correctly). Four stroke motors are much heavier. My Nissan is about 60 lbs, the same size 4 stroke was about 115 lbs. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.