Outboard for MacGregor 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carl

My Son and I have acquired a "vintage"25. We would like to use a Merc 7.5 that we have to use when neede for docking etc. The problem is that we can not "lock" the outboard from turning, We would prefer using the tiller to stear. Does anybody have any sugesstions or solutions?? Thanks for any replies, Carl

E

E Keim

outboard turn

You may want to practice turning using the outboard and tiller. I am an old power boater and thought I was adroit at docking large boats. This is my first year with the Mac 25 and situations can be tricky. In close situations I turn with the motor and tiller. Under power the boat is not very responsive. Practice and you will get the hang of docking. Another problem is being able to see over the bow, in close quarters I have crew move foreward and keep a watchful eye. Practice will give you confidence. Good luck, enjoy the boat.

M

Mike

Try this

A simple link between the rudder and the outboard using aircraft balljoints will make the motor follow the rudder. You get great steering with a no-brainer operation. Happy Sailing, Mike

K

Ken

Don't Lock It

I agree with the others. Don't lock your outboard. The boat can turn on a dime when you swing both outboard and tiller together - the time WILL come when that is desired.... high winds at the dock, swinging towards somebody's $100K boat.... close quarters in anchorage and you break loose from bottom..... dropping something overboard.... By the way - how you do you find your reverse thrust? I also use a Merc 7.5. Reverse was absolutely terrible. The through-prop exhaust fumes caused untold cavitation. Guy @ marina here suggested drilling two 1/2" holes through exhaust housing, just above cavitation plate, one on each side. Did that ever do the trick! Get great reverse thrust now without having to crank the rev's up. Happy sailing!

J

Jamie

WHERE DO YOU FIND AIRCRAFT BALLJOINTS?

If I wanted to link the rudder and outboard where would I find the components necessary to connect the two?

M

Mike

BALL JOINTS

Ball joints can be purchased through several sources. Many motorcycles with "rocker" or Heel and Toe shifters use these joints. Also try the airframe repair shops at a local small plane airport. Sometimes you can get perfectly good ones for next to nothing from a scrapped or totaled plane. A company called Boston Gear carries many neat items from motors to nylon gears, linkages and so on. Mike

D

Doug Rodrigues

Snap-on rod ends

The ball joints are also known as snap-on rod ends. They're used on most light planes for control linkages, carburetor linkages, etc. Aircraft Spruce and Specialty in Fullerton, California is a major supplier for all kinds of parts for factory and home built light airplanes. Or...go visit an aircraft salvage yard. They should be on the internet. You'll find thousands of such rod and rod ends laying around. (*I used to scrounge for airplane parts when I owned an antique airplane I couldn't afford.)

Status
Not open for further replies.