Outboard for an O’Day 192?

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
So my 192 came with an air cooled 4cycle 5hp outboard but I’m not too psyched about it. Since it’s air cooled there’s no cowling so the engine it totally exposed and fairly low to the water. It was previously used in fresh water lake but I’ll be in a choppy salt water bay. Plus, the new version says not for salt water use so I’m assuming this one isn’t either. So, I don’t think this is going to last too long for me.

3F15A689-67C8-4CB2-AC60-C4D5BC03F79D.jpeg

What outboards are you guys using? I’m leaning towards the Tohatsu 5HP SailPro Propane version with the long shaft or a Torqeedo Travel 1103 Long shaft (I may have a chance to try the Torqeedo out on the boat before buying one). Anyone have any experience with either? Any other recommendations?

It gets breezy here everyday and there can be a decent current with a short steep chop. I may need to motor 3 miles at most sometimes depending on conditions.

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
I've had very good experience with my Honda BF5 4-stroke 5 HP. It has a 22.5" shaft and has been very reliable. The only downside is that it is a single and so not as smooth as a twin. But otherwise I have used it for about nine years now with no complaints.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I use a 5 hp Nissan 4 stroke with mine. I've put the high thrust Tohatsu prop on it, to get the RPMs closer to operating range. I don't have to deal with current, but remember whether the hull sees 5 knots over ground, or 2 knots over ground against a 3 knot current, it's all the same as far as the limitations of hull speed. I've motored into some stronger winds, and that's where HP will get you somewhere, as long as you aren't bumping up to hull speed.

Given the difficulties small motors can have with oxidized ethanol and varnish in the carb, not to mention the possibility of aluminum corrosion if there's any salt water that gets into ethanol fuel, I would definitely get the propane Tohatsu unless you have a good source for ethanol free gas (I do have a source.)

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I use a 5 hp Nissan 4 stroke with mine. I've put the high thrust Tohatsu prop on it, to get the RPMs closer to operating range. I don't have to deal with current, but remember whether the hull sees 5 knots over ground, or 2 knots over ground against a 3 knot current, it's all the same as far as the limitations of hull speed. I've motored into some stronger winds, and that's where HP will get you somewhere, as long as you aren't bumping up to hull speed.

Given the difficulties small motors can have with oxidized ethanol and varnish in the carb, not to mention the possibility of aluminum corrosion if there's any salt water that gets into ethanol fuel, I would definitely get the propane Tohatsu unless you have a good source for ethanol free gas (I do have a source.)
What size shaft is your Nissan? I’m looking at the Tohatsu SailPro Propane that comes with either a 20” or 25” shaft.

My air cooled outboard has been giving me problems and after all the other work I’ve done on the boat, dealing with a fussy outboard isn’t on my list of things I want to deal with anymore.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
What size shaft is your Nissan? I’m looking at the Tohatsu SailPro Propane that comes with either a 20” or 25” shaft.
I honestly have no idea how long it really is. It is probably the shorter of "long shaft"options, but not as long as the longest 25" on a SailPro. Provided you can lift the motor mount and tilt the motor (as I do on mine) I don't think anyone ever regretted having a longer shaft outboard on a sailboat. I'm lucky I don't have to deal with big, rolly waves, so I don't have problems with the prop coming out of the water, but for a boat that lives on bigger water, longer is probably better.

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0656 (1).jpg

rswift

May 17, 2015
Oday 192 Saratoga Lake, NY
We have the Torqeedo on our 192. It works great. We are in an inland, freshwater lake so current isn't an issue for us. On any given day, motoring off the dock and back uses less than 10% of the battery. We are happy not to have to cart gas and oil on the docks.

Aug 20, 2017
O'day 26 Gig Harbor, WA
I have a 1985 O'day 192. I sail Puget Sound and the San Juans. I've experienced some strong currents and winds with some big chop (accidentally). I was REALLY glad I had the extra long shaft. I have the Tohatsu 6hp sail pro. Had I not had the extra long shaft my prop would have most certainly come out of the water and the 6hp gave me the added power I needed.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
The Tohatsu 5hp SailPro Propane with a 25” shaft was the winner.

895D55DD-2777-47CF-AAA4-6BDEED6FEC9A.jpeg

I’ve gone out twice with it so far and it’s been great. It starts up easily and is very quiet. Plus it’s got plenty of power, I haven’t needed more than quarter throttle even motoring straight into the wind. And because I barely use the throttle, it’s very efficient on propane use.

The Worthington 4.25lb Propane tank is a perfect fit in my gas locker and I can even easily fit another with room to spare. On that single tank I can run 4 hours at wide open throttle. Since I don’t even use more than 1/4 throttle, this will last me a long time, and it’s good that propane doesn’t go bad.

When I first mounted it on land I thought I made a mistake and the 25” shaft was too long. But in the end, it works perfectly in the chop and boat wake I have to deal with. It does drag in the water so I have to tweak my mount a bit over winter. Even with it dragging I was able to do 6kts in about 12kts of wind on starboard (as high as it goes) and 5kts on port. It may be a 1 knot difference but it doesn’t bother me. 5kts is enough to get me around the small bay fast enough.

I would definitely recommend going propane to anyone looking for an outboard. This one also has an alternator but I don’t have it hooked up yet since the pigtail is too short. I’ll have to make a new one over winter but for now the solar panel is working on the battery.

Aug 20, 2017
O'day 26 Gig Harbor, WA
Congrats! It looks awesome too. I know you'll really like that 25" shaft. I don't know for myself but I've heard the propane engine's carburetor won't foul like a gas engine's will. So you'll not have to worry about that problem. Happy sailing!