Outboard advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ToyBox

I am putting a new outboard on my 1978 Catalina '27 and need some advice. First my current 9.9hp Evenrude maxes out at about 6 knots. I am wondering if moving up or down in horsepower will make much of a difference. The 8hp seem to be much less expensive than the 9.9 but the 15 is almost the same price. And I would love to hear any recommendations. Because of space limitations, I cannot go to a 4 stroke. Thanks,

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

What I found

My '73 C27 came with an old 9.9 with a set of broken cockpit controls. It was rather sporadic in its ability to run consistently so I replaced it with a well used 6.5. I found that the 6.5 pushes me along at the same speed as the 9.9. Your boat's only going go as fast as it will go, if you get my drift. No motor is going to push you along at 20 knots unless you go buy a MacGregor! The only down side to the smaller engines is that they don't come with cockpit controls, so that may be an issue. LaDonna

R

Randy

LaDonna's right--your boat will only reach its hull speed, regardless of how much power you apply. One additional thing to consider though, is long term durability. While you may be able to push the boat just as fast with a 6 or 8 h.p. outboard, a 9.9 or 15 will probably not have to work as hard, and may last longer because of it.

B

Bob Camarena

Weight is Important

Often you'll find that two engines of different HP from the same manufacturer weigh the same. An 8 and a 9.9 may be 95% identical. I'd guess the 15 is quite a bit heavier. I had an old Johnson 9.9 on mine that was like the Eveready Bunny, it just kept going and going. Also, the smaller engines like the 5 HP may not have a battery charging circuit. You also might want electric start. If you race and use the motor to get in and out of the harbor, the 5HP or smaller might be a good choice and would enhance your sailing performance. If you motor a lot I'd go with the 8 of the 9.9. Once you're in the 8+ range, get the biggest model for the least weight. I wouldn't go to the 15, it's overpowered and overweight. Also, if I remember correctly, the C-27 uses a standard shaft length motor not a long-shaft.

J

Joe Ford

outboard considerations

Ladonna is correct, C27 owner's manual recommends 6 to 9.5 hp. Engines larger than this will not drive the boat faster than its critical hull speed of 6.25 kts and fuel economy will be poor. I suspect you need the motor for more than just getting you out to the race course, so I rccommend you get electric start and remote control. (convenience and battery charging) New ones are expensive. Look for 5-6 year old and have mechanic check it ouf as condition of purcase. You should be able to find what you need for about $1,000.

J

Joe Ford

additional consideration

If you are not willing to modifiy the motor mount to accommodate a larger profile engine you will be severely limited in your purchase options. Even the newer model OMC engines may not fit. The motor mount issue was discussed in this forum a few weeks ago. You may not wish to make the extensive modification a 10 hp Honda 4-stroke may require, but smaller alterations to accommodate a 2-stroke Tohatsu, Nissan or Merc should warrant your serious consideration.

O

okoli mon

An the answer is.

At over 9000 ft I have found that the yamaha 8 has performed well, even with the lost hp from elevation. I would think that it would do just fine,after all its a sailboat and an outboard at that.

M

Mike Gallagher

another thing to consider

Our 27 has a longshaft 9.9 on it and it does great. I wonder about lower hp engines not because of their ability to push your boat along at hull speed in calm water, but in rough weather one or two hp might make a difference.

A

A.C. Whitlow

9.9 v. 15hp

We installed the extra long shaft 9.9 Honda, converted to a 15hp, on our 27. It had more than enough power to move the boat, reaching hull speed at a little better than half throttle in calm water. The only reason I removed the governor was for more starting and stopping thrust but, in retrospect, it was a waste of time. The 9.9 was more than enough. As for modifications to the boat, I had to notch the rudder for the extra long shaft. I also had to modify the way I checked the oil, etc., because I had to remove the trim pin in order to have enough clearence to remove the bonnet. All in all, it was worth it. The Honda, with the governor removed, used 1/4 the fuel the 2 stroke used.

J

Joe Passanisi. pass@fcgnetworks.net

Waste of fuel

According to the specs the hull speed of the Catlina 27 is 6 to 6.5 Knots. You will be winding out the motor and wasting fuel trying to make it go faster. I am thinking of putting in a bigger outboard because of strong tidal currents. Bucking the tide in New Hampshire is a slow go at best with a 9.9hp

A

Andrew

carerful about size

I had to replace the old honda 9.9 / 4 stroke last year. I made careful measurements and had to disregard many motors that would not fit. I ended up with a 2 stroke 9.9 Nissan that barely fit. The motor was a good deal though, long shaft, electric start and remote controls. My only complaint is that the choke should have a remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.