Osmosis

Sep 18, 2024
Nonsuch Ultra 26 Norfolk
I am in the process of buying a sailboat and just had it surveyed. The surveyor found and pointed out some blistering on the hull. Probably about 25% of the hull in varying sizes but predominantly under dime size. The surveyor explained blisters and how it doesn’t necessarily mean the deficiency in the structural integrity of the hull. He also said it is not uncommon for a 38 year old vessel to have blisters. The rest of the boat is in great condition. Comments and thoughts appreciated.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The protocol for blister remediation is well established, thus finding someone to do quality work should not be an issue and many DIYers have done the job. Blisters can be repaired individually if there are not too many or by stripping the bottom, repairing the blisters and barrier coating the bottom.

If the boat is in otherwise good condition, then I wouldn't worry about the blisters. You may want to use the blisters as a bargaining chip.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
As I said above, it can take as much as 6 months to dry out a blistered hull, before the work on the blisters themselves can begin. The process can be sped up, at an additional cost of course, by using a vacuum system to dry the areas to be repaired.
Honestly, since you haven't gotten a quote yet, it is an open ended project that could cost as much as the boat itself. I personally would go and find another boat.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I am in the process of buying a sailboat and just had it surveyed.
what kind of sailboat? The manufacturer is an important point as some were infamous for blistered and delaminated hulls and poor quality resins used in layup of the glass. It might be worth doing or maybe not.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I don’t know much about blistering except that it’s a thing to be dealt with. If you’ve bought a boat that then develops blisters you deal with it. But I would not buy one with 25% of its hull’s bottom experiencing blistering. This seems to have been common in boats of 1980’s vintage even when relatively new then. To wit, there’s your 38 yrs, etc.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I bought a 1988 sailboat that had widespread small blisters. The repair yard stripped the gelcoat & allowed the hull to air “dry” for 5 months, filled & faired the larger blisters, and applied multiple coats of questionable quality vinyl ester resin. Long story short, the blisters returned within 18 months. Unless the boat is actively dried & coated with several coats of epoxy, the repair is bound to fail. Also, I would not leave a blister repaired Hull in water year round. As @capta mentioned, the cost of a quality repair will likely exceed the value of an older boat. That was my first boat and I naively allowed the surveyor & yard steer me into purchasing & repairing the boat. I would not make that decision again. Just ask the yard for a written warranty for a blister repair job & you will quickly find out that you are on your own when the repair fails!

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I wrote this about my experience with boat blisters earlier today.

You buy an older boat that is berthed in a marina, blistering is to be expected. Worse on some boats than others.

Sep 18, 2024
Nonsuch Ultra 26 Norfolk
I bought a 1988 sailboat that had widespread small blisters. The repair yard stripped the gelcoat & allowed the hull to air “dry” for 5 months, filled & faired the larger blisters, and applied multiple coats of questionable quality vinyl ester resin. Long story short, the blisters returned within 18 months. Unless the boat is actively dried & coated with several coats of epoxy, the repair is bound to fail. Also, I would not leave a blister repaired Hull in water year round. As @capta mentioned, the cost of a quality repair will likely exceed the value of an older boat. That was my first boat and I naively allowed the surveyor & yard steer me into purchasing & repairing the boat. I would not make that decision again. Just ask the yard for a written warranty for a blister repair job & you will quickly find out that you are on your own when the repair fails!
Thanks for your reply. I’ve read about your scenario many times now. I’ve also read from some pretty knowledgeable experts that if it’s a solid fiberglass hull (not core), to just do nothing and it will be fine. It does not compromise the structural integrity of the hull.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It does not compromise the structural integrity of the hull.
In some cases it can. Doing nothing is not in my best interests. Just like scraping off the gel coat and leaving the boat on the hard for years.
I’m into bandaids and paint.

Sep 18, 2024
Nonsuch Ultra 26 Norfolk
The protocol for blister remediation is well established, thus finding someone to do quality work should not be an issue and many DIYers have done the job. Blisters can be repaired individually if there are not too many or by stripping the bottom, repairing the blisters and barrier coating the bottom.

If the boat is in otherwise good condition, then I wouldn't worry about the blisters. You may want to use the blisters as a bargaining chip.
Thank you. This is about where I’m at too. I’ve received many do not buy responses, but except for this issue it’s exactly the boat I want. The most sanest responses I’ve received are from knowledgeable experts (mostly surveyors) that if it’s a solid fiberglass hull (vs. core) it will be fine, do nothing and it does not compromise the structural integrity of the hull. And it is solid fiberglass.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The most sanest responses I’ve received are from knowledgeable experts (mostly surveyors) that if it’s a solid fiberglass hull (vs. core) it will be fine, do nothing and it does not compromise the structural integrity of the hull.
Cored or not, blisters will enlarge and will advance into underlying layers of laminate of a “solid” Hull. At some point, the problem becomes severe enough, that you not only have to peel the gelcoat and actively dry the hull, but also have to remove damaged laminate & re-laminate with roving & epoxy to strengthen the hull. Needless to say, the hull remains susceptible to reforming blisters between the new laminate & old because the layers are not chemically bonded as when the boat was originally built. You really need to do your own independent research because brokers, surveyors, & yards in a given locale work together to make the sale. They all get financially compensated; however, you are stuck with the problems & expense. When you decide to sell, you’re going to take a financial beating as most potential buyers will avoid blistered boats. I would take the advice of owners who have dealt with blistered boats instead of the “experts”. Appears that you are about to violate the most important rule when purchasing, “don’t fall in love with a given boat.”

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2024
Nonsuch Ultra 26 Norfolk
A bit cheeky reply but I like it. I needed to hear it. Going to spend the weekend researching. It’s a bit of controversial and confusing issue. Hearing so many differing opinions. I indeed fell for the boat before I saw the hull, but I’m still going out sailing today on my Catalina 22. So I’m good.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
A bit cheeky reply but I like it. I needed to hear it. I’m still going out sailing today on my Catalina 22. So I’m good.
Sorry about the cheekiness! I went thru the same scenario. Found a boat in my local marina & in my price range. Definitely fell in love with that boat. Was very disappointed when the survey showed blistering. After retracting my initial offer, I sought the advice of the broker, surveyor, & yard. I got an estimate for the repair & after further negotiation with the owner, was able to obtain a substantial discount and purchased the boat. Then I became an expert in the trials and tribulations of blistering & repairs over a 6 year period!
At least you have a boat now; enjoy your sail today & good luck with your search for a new boat!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
A bit cheeky reply but I like it. I needed to hear it. Going to spend the weekend researching. It’s a bit of controversial and confusing issue. Hearing so many differing opinions. I indeed fell for the boat before I saw the hull, but I’m still going out sailing today on my Catalina 22. So I’m good.
Cheeky? Again, what kind of boat are you talking about?Very few boats and fewer still of that vintage have cored hulls so that shouldnt even be a consideration and whomever told you it is might not be the best person from whom to seek advice.
Blisters are a symptom, not the disease. The moisture/water within the laminate is the disease and if you have symptoms throughout the hull, you have lots of water trapped.

Sep 18, 2024
Nonsuch Ultra 26 Norfolk
Cheeky? Again, what kind of boat are you talking about?Very few boats and fewer still of that vintage have cored hulls so that shouldnt even be a consideration and whomever told you it is might not be the best person from whom to seek advice.
Blisters are a symptom, not the disease. The moisture/water within the laminate is the disease and if you have symptoms throughout the hull, you have lots of water trapped.
Cheeky wasn’t meant for you. I really appreciate your response. I’ve done a deep dive into osmosis and fiberglass hulls the past few days. As much as I love the boat I’ve decided not to go through with the purchase. Too many other good boats out there.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I read the thread that John mentioned and the consequence was not more blisters but the insurance company wouldn't insure it anymore after a short time limit if not repaired immediately after the purchase had been completed.
'Just Bought My First Boat - About to Give it to a Scrapyard'

Sep 18, 2024
Nonsuch Ultra 26 Norfolk
I read the thread that John mentioned and the consequence was not more blisters but the insurance company wouldn't insure it anymore after a short time limit if not repaired immediately after the purchase had been completed.
Yikes! I hadn’t thought about that. Thanks!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

The insurance company required the bottom to be painted within 30 days because the surveyor noted the bottom needed painting. The buyer, a new boater has gotten a lot of conflicting advice and went ahead and had the bottom sand blasted which opened up the blisters. Now he says he cannot find anyone to finish the job. According to one of his posts, the advice he has received, both online and off, has not been consistent and has left quite confused. All of this is a truly unfortunate situation.

• Helpful