Original H33 caulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Terry Arnold

What is the original caulking material used all over my 79 H33? The same off white material seems to have been used everytwhere, under wood trim in the head, under all the deck fittings, hull-deck joint, ports, same caulk everywhere. It has a texture like silicone and may be a kind of silicone but the strength is much less than today's silicone and the adhesion seems to be superior. The stuff is in perfect shape with excellent adhesion every place I have taken the boat apart in refitting and it can be pulled or cut off easily, something not possible with 5200. anybody know what it is? and if its still available?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Don't know what they used.

Terry: I do not know what they used. I believe that some of the caulking was GE but not sure. Don't think that you can compare the products today to what was made 20 + years ago. You can probably thank the EPA for everyone of the companies having to reformulate their compounds. I think that the Life products are excellent and hold up well. Lifecaulk seems to come out of the tube easier than 3M's 4200, which makes application easier. The major players seem to be 3M, GE, Sika & Life. I think that all of them make excellent products. You just need to find the one that works best for the project that you're working on.

R

Roland

Caulk

The owner's manual for my '77 h30 lists the caulk as Butyl tape. I had never heard of this substance before but, you are right, the stuff is everywhere. -Roland S/V Fraulein II

E

Ed Schenck

Good stuff.

When I removed a couple of portlights from my 1979 H37C the caulk was still pliable and really tough. In fact I had to break the outside frames to remove them from the cabinsides. I never saw a leak around the frames and the plywood core was not rotted. I am using Life-Calk for the new bronze ports. Hope it is as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.