original battens on Hunter 240

PDW

Aug 24, 2018
Hunter 240 Lake Monroe
I am 3rd owner of 2002 240 Hunter. Previous owner changed out main sail battens with nylon piping. What are the original battens? Flat 1 inch wide is my guess. Thanks in advance.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
My 240 uses the 5/8" wide pultruded battens. My mainsail is the original Doyle with 4 battens (not full batten). Check the store here or Sailrite.

PDW

Aug 24, 2018
Hunter 240 Lake Monroe
My 240 uses the 5/8" wide pultruded battens. My mainsail is the original Doyle with 4 battens (not full batten). Check the store here or Sailrite.
Would I buy to size or long piece and cut to lengths? Also do your battens run full length of pocket? I too have 4 batten sail. Example: a pocket is 38 inches long. Precut battens come as 3 ft. Suspect 3ft is fine just prefer bact to original as possible.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Cut to size with a hacksaw is best- they stay in the pockets better if they are the right length, and won't chafe your sail. Get the plastic caps too. If you can buy local that is sometimes best to save oversize shipping on the long ones. On some sails the batten will not go all the way to the end of the sewn pocket- there is sometimes an elastic internal end they fit into. So best to insert and measure before you cut. On my main the top two have velcro straps to hold them in, the bottom two have a sewn pocket that keeps them in.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank yyou @caverun for that excellent advice. Yes it was 5/8 inch width. I use to buy and not sure if available anymore 12 foot lengths cut to appropriate size. When cut, I would round them to include a fine sanding off vs. the end caps which at times were hard to get or oversized at times making it difficult to insert into the pockets

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I added the light grey rubber like caps to my battens, as the prior owner had let them saw through the pockets on the luff. I just used epoxy from a tube to glue them on each end. Helps a lot. I had to replace one, and just cut it to length. I'd make sure they are appropriate length so they fit fully into batten fittings on luff (assuming you have them) and to the flaps on the leech end - so they don't slide forward and back in use.