Orientation of fuel vacuum gauge?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Installing a fuel vacuum gauge is on this springs project list.

Is the orientation of the vacuum gauge critical? I'd like to mount it horizontally, face up.

Thanks
Ward

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have always seen them standing vertically with the opening down. The dial is configured that way for easy reading. I note that the gauge may be filled with oil to dampen the gauge needle movement. I assume that it is a sealed compartment.

I do not see any vacuum reading issues. I guess you could give it a try and then adapt if there are any issues.

That’s kind of like sending the big guy out into the field to see if there are any mines.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Sort of like this ?
Exactly like that.
It will be mounted so it is in my face, so to speak, when I open and close the engine water intake thru hull valve.
Mine has the drag needle so I can check it whether the engine is off or running.

Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
I wish I had added the drag needle and the oil bath. I bought my gauge at a marina store. When it came time for @LeslieTroyer to add his we went to an hydraulic shop and found a better one than the one I installed. For less money :facepalm:.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Mine has the drag needle so I can check it whether the engine is off or running.
'Fraid I don't travel in those circles that can afford gauges with drag needles.

Will occasionally check the gauge while under way but never seen a reading over 1-2" Hg. in all the years I've been sailing. Can't remember the last time I changed the primary filter but always replace the secondary filter every other year.

Oct 22, 2014
Ralph you must have pristine tanks and brand new diesel. I've seen 10 plus on the gauge. And the filter looked full of coffee grounds. SO a quick change and happy happy.:biggrin:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Yep, I got carried away when buying the gauge two years ago before I even launched the boat. New to inboards at the time, it sounded worth it.
Last year was my biggest sailing year yet and I still only put 43 hours on the motor so now I know I could skip the gauge and just change the filter annually. But I have it laying around so plan to install.
Hoping to increase sailing/motoring time dramatically this year but my longest planned trip will be 6-8 weeks on John's boat. :beer:

Jan 4, 2006
And the filter looked full of coffee grounds.
Yipes :yikes: ! I don't know what your fuel suppliers are are peddling or whether it's the goings-on in your fuel tank. All I add is Biobor JF with each fill up and not a trace of crud that I can see to date. Every years I suck up a fuel sample to see what's going on down there:

Fuel Tank Pump Out Fitting.JPG

......... and to date, no more than a few drops of water and no crud. Use the oil vacuum pump to suck up the fuel sample, my lips gave out a few years back.

I can't see that your fuel suppliers are serving a lower grade of fuel than up here so maybe it is your tank.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
The only time mine pegged was when that stupid screen that Hunter crammed up in the 1/4" fuel pickup tube clogged up. Of course I didn't know that at the time and changed the Racor filter while my wife sailed back and forth under the Golden Gate Bridge. I was just tightening the plastic bleed screw on the filter when we hit a big wake and I slipped with the screwdriver. Snap. Broke that screw right off the housing. It took five hours to sail back home, gybing about 30 times.

Once the screw was replaced and the real source of the blockage was found, my vacuum gauge has never gone above 1-2" like Ralph's.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Yipes :yikes: ! I don't know what your fuel suppliers are are peddling or whether it's the goings-on in your fuel
John had two problems. 1) he bought a boat that wasn’t fueled for several years. 2) his tanks are so big that unless he motored to Alaska and back he would empty them. He’s changed filter more times than you’ve fueled up

• Helpful
Jan 4, 2006
sailed back and forth under the Golden Gate Bridge. I was just tightening the plastic bleed screw on the filter when we hit a big wake and I slipped with the screwdriver. Snap. Broke that screw right off the housing. It took five hours to sail back home, gybing about 30 times.
Ya really know how to liven up an otherwise unexciting day :p.

Changing a fuel filter while tied to the dock is always a bit of a mess for me. I certainly DO NOT want to practice the change while under way.

The primary Racor 110 filter used to be jammed into the middle of a bunch of water hoses, fuel hoses, and electrical wire:

DSC_0511A.jpg

Not a good place to mount a filter except that the clearance under the filter was needed to change the filter element.

Finally got smart and placed the filter in an uncluttered area where it could be removed on flexible hoses and change the element much easier:

Fuel Filter and Lift pump R.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Les knows best.
The tanks 2 - 85 gallons each, were partially filled for an unknown length of time.

Following Ralph’s suggestion I have been using additives (Biobor JF and Star brite Bio Diesel as suggested by Practical Sailor ) with success. During the learning period, as Les shared, I became pretty good at stopping the engine at the first sign fuel starvation and changing the dirty filter. 7 minutes was my best time. Only issue was when I changed the filter I forgot to switch the tank. Killed the engine and had to get a tow from Les til I could prime the fuel lines. 20 minutes :banghead:.
Old fuel filter... Messy and 30 plus minutes to change... Plus 20 minutes of priming...
Had to go to the dumpster..
IMG_0722.jpeg

New Racor - ready to install
IMG_0786.jpeg

Clogged Fuel Filter... 10hg...Not good.
IMG_1169.jpeg