OPTIMA or TROJAN T-105

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JR

Need advise; I am about to change my house battery bank and need to know what batteries to use. I will use 2 batteries, need to decide between two OPTIMA marine blue top or two Trojan T-105. Optima cost $160 and Trojan $115. Optime: http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/splash.html Trojan: http://www.trojanbattery.com/ This is for a 32 sailboat, I will move a norcold refrigerator, lights, pumps, etc.,, Thanks

Oct 20, 2006
Hunter 37-cutter Colington Island, NC
my batteries

We live aboard our boat during the week and I added 4 t-105 golf cart batteries ten yrs ago. I have only recenctly changed them for the second time (2006 summer) becauseI was upgrading all the cables, alternator, etc. I run the refer full time, water pum, lights everyday and use a trueamp 3 step charger. I buy them from Sams for about $60 bucks each. Read the label, same battery that WM has for $105. Just a alternate source. WM doesnt always have the best value.

J

JR

Sams batteries

Hi OBX I went to Sams, what they have here are 6 V stonway batteries for $51 rated at 110 AH. Are this the same as the Trojan T-105, Trojan rated ther battery at 225 AH. Thanks

Nov 12, 2006
Catalina 36 Bainbridge Island
Battery

JR First, you should register, and build a profile with Sailboat Owners. This makes it easier for us to help you. The batteries 150 AH will run a 1 amp load for 150 hours, or a 10 amp load for 15 hours, or a 100 amp load for 1.5 hours (these figures are only a guide to explain Amp Hours) 2 Optima D31M batteries provide 150 AH of house bank power. 2 Optima D34M batteries provide 110 AH of house bank power. 2 T105 batteries provide 225 AH of house bank power. They will all start the engine. The charging regimen is the same for all.

K

KennyH

I think the T-105 are hard to beat

I think the T-105 are probably the best battery for boats period. That said I recently replaced the batteries of my Hunter 25. The t-105s where 120 dollars each best price I could find. The sams club batteries had the same ratings after comparing the two. Sams batteries where 61 dollars each. I am sure you can guess which ones I purchased but I am a local cruiser now but if I where a long distance cruiser it would have been the Trojans. Trojans set lasted 10 years in my Cheoy Lee and where in fairly good shape when replaced.

Nov 12, 2006
Sams Batteries

NO! They are not the same. They are not built the same. One thing they are though is lighter. 2 Trojan batteries 225AH 2 Sam's batteries 110AH

jrpla

Apr 10, 2007
Beneteau First 32 Fajardo, PR
Thanks; Mick

Hi I created my profile. I think I am going to purchase the 2 Trojan T-105. Another question, I have a Xantrex trucharge 20, how often do I need to equalize the batteries? Is this an easy task? Also, I have a 80amp Yanmar Alternator, how long should I need to power the engine to recharge the batteries? Thanks

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
t105s and equalization

Mick the T105s are fine but you might want to compare them with T125s which are marginaly higher capacity and have thicker, larger plates which makes the cost difference worthwhile if you intend to keep them a while. The Xantrex manual includes a good discussion on equalization procedures and frequency which is probably the best info you will find to guide you. It's as easy as pushing the equalization button on the charger. The time it takes to recharge from the engine alternator depends entirely on two things: the state of charge on the batteries before being recharged and the temp/rpm curve of the alternator. That is, the more it is discharged, the longer it takes to recharge. The charge time is also directly related to increased rpm and inversely related to temperature.

T

Tom S

These are two different battery technologies

The Optima's are based on an AGM type technologies (albeit spiral wound AGM - low/no maintenance) and the Trojans are "Wet Cell" (You gotta check the water in the batteries regularly). The Optima's are good batteries but very different than the T105's, If the Optima Blue Tops are considered "deep Cycle" then the Golf Cart Trojans would be considered "super deep cycle" (Remember you need 2 Trojan 6volts T-105's so the price is double the price on 1 Optima) The Optima's should create a much high CCA and MCA (Cranking Amps) though, its probably not that big of a concern as both will have enough CCA's for our applications. Though I noticed that Trojan does not even list the CCA's for the T-105.

Nov 12, 2006
T-105 vs T-125

Thanks Don. They are the same size so they would fit in my boats location. The difference is 4 pounds more lead per battery. JR You might think about the T-125's: 2 T-105 = 225 AH 2 T-125 = 240 AH I would at least see what the price difference is.

jrpla

Apr 10, 2007
Beneteau First 32 Fajardo, PR
T-125

The T-125 here is $30 difference and I have to order it since it is not in stock.

R

Red

There's even more difference.

Optimas are probably the most expensive batteries on the market. The spiral-wound construction is supposed to make them more reliable, more uniform, and way cheaper to produce but they are sold at a very high premium price. And, putting round cells in a rectangular box means less capacity overall than a flat plate box. You can get conventional flat-plate AGM batteries for about 30% less from other sources. Trojan has a reputation for good industrial batteries, and wide distribution. They are among the most cost-effective batteries out there, although no one that I've heard of claims the 8-15 year life that some Rolls and Surrette buyers report. Those are top grade "industrial" brands for top dollar. AGM technology allows the battery to be charged at 25% of the rated capacity, i.e a 100-AH rated battery will take a charge at a 25A rate. A comparable wet cell would only accept a 20% rate before overheating and outgassing, so an AMG charges in 4 hours compared to 5 for a wet cell. In reality it won't be that simple--but it will still mean AGMs recharge about 25% faster than wet cells. AGM also self-discharges much slower, you can leave a charged AGM cell alone all winter and use it in the spring. A wet cell breaks down, sulphates form, and if it isnt' kept on a trickle charger or recharged every 30 days, it will suffer permanent capacity loss. Enough to kill it over six months of just sitting there. And then there's the acid. AGM means no spills, no cloths burned through. It also means that if you overcharge and cook them--you can't top them up, so your charger had better be working properly. Only one AGM maker recommends equalizing their own brand of AGM batteries (LifeLine), while every wet cell maker suggests equalizing be done from time to time. Bottom line? AGM will cost more, but it has some paybacks for that. Enough to pay maybe 30% more than wet lead? That's a personal decision. But please! Don't mistake "Optima" for "AGM" in general. That's like saying a Bentley and a Chevy are both cars. Yeah, they are, but they're not at all the same. (Bad analogy, the Bentley gives you way more than an Optima does for the money.<G>)

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Optima not the best choice for housekeeping.

The Optima batteries only offer low capacity batteries 50 - 75 AH. Optima makes some of the best batteries on the market but you really want to size your bank for your current (possibly furture needs). If you are looking for high quality batteries you can look into Gel & AGM technology. If these batteries are properly maintained (proper charger will provide the internal maintenance) they can give you 8-10 years of totally maintenance/trouble free service.

Status
Not open for further replies.