opinions on the Vision model

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim gilliland

I am a power boater who has seen the light. We are planning to buy a 36 to 40 foot sail boat. We won't be racing and we are more interested in comfort than performance. Can anyone tell me what the liabilities are of the Vision model? It seems ideal to me but why aren't more boats designed this way. Any input would be appreciated

G

Vision

I have only been on the 32 but I would say the up side is that there is great space below which might appeal to somebody coming from a powerboat. They sail just fine. The downside is that they are unusual due to the unstayed mast which may have limited appeal when it comes to resale. I would inquire with Hunter and some of the rigging shops about the ability to replace the mast if it should break. I think Freedom guaranteed their masts for life but I don't know about Hunter. Having a new mast built would be extremely expensive. I have never heard of one being replaced but my knowledge is limited. Don't forget to read the owner reviews on this site. You could probably E-mail other owners for more thorough answers.

S

Steve O.

who was that mast man?

I don't own a Vision and I've never sailed one so I can't comment on their sailing characteristics but as someone who has just gone through a broken mast trauma, I would be wary of the ability to replace the spar should anything happen to it. I was told by a reliable source (a Hunter dealer) that the reason Hunter quit building the Visions was that they lost their supplier of spars. I have a friend who is familiar with a Vision 32 and he had some problems with the mast keel step and he was not impressed with the boats speed.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
forestay

the reason the Vision rig is unique is that other manufacturers who've produced boats with unstayed masts (Nonsuch, Freedom, Wyliecat) have opted to go with cat rigs, which make a ton of sense, especially with a wishbone boom. (Keep in mind that I race for Team Wyliecat, so this is hardly an unbiased opinion.)for whatever reason, Hunter came out with an sloop, opting to add a tiny jib on a forestay. Unfortunately, there's no good way to tension the forestay, which makes the jib fairly worthless. the other thing that's unique about the Vision is that the stick is made of aluminum rather than carbon fiber. the result is a huge circumference at the base of the mast, tapering to a tiny masthead. while it apparently performs almost as well as a carbon mast, it looks pretty goofy. not as goofy as a powerboat, however; I'm thinking you'll look a whole lot better sailing a Vision 36 than whatever it is you're driving now.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
You'll Love It , Jim

I owned a V32 for ten years and seriously considered moving to a V36. There were few around. It is simple, easy to sail and performs just fine. And, the forestay is no accident and is tensioned by the main. Works fine, and provides an important slot. I understood the construction was expensive. Never heard of one with mast problems. I don't recall the manufacturer, but it was a big one, and I think still around. Don't be put off because it is a little different. Rick D.

H

howard meyer

isomat

I believe the masts were made by Isomat, and don't think you have to worry about anything happening to them. We have a vision 32 and love it.. easy to sail, lots of room, no spreaders for birds to roost on and poop on your boat, no stays= less maintenance.

M

Marc Honey

Charter one!!!

Jim, I don't know if you get down to Florida like the majority of your countrymen seem to do, but you can charter a Vision 36 from Southwest Florida Yachts down at Burnt Store Marina near Punta Gorda,Fla. My wife and I will be on it for 5 days in November. Check it out at www.swfyachts.com name of the boat is "No Strings Attached" They run a sailing and powerboat school and could probably help you out on your questions.

D

Dave Dahlstrom

You'll love it

I've bought the infamous hull 001 here in California in 91'. She's comfortable, very roomy for a 36', and easy to sail. I've added an autopilot, stearn mounted radar, chartrplotter, and full cockpit canvas. She's a great livaboard for my wife and I and, although not known as fast, sails easily and gets you there comfortably. Also, resale value is faily high for the initial investment. No problem with the mast other than laughing at conventional sailors faces when they see the mast bend to the wind. "What puff, I didn't feel a puff". Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.