Oops,, we bent the bow pulpit

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ED

Ok so it's one of those things we talk about after it's too late. The wind was blowing pretty good when we were making our approch to the pier and now that it's over..... well now I'm looking to find out how I can fix the bow pulpit back to it's orriginal shape. It has a slight bend towards the port side and I think it's fixable. Any suggestions besides buy a new one ??? Are there any places I can buy a used pulpit ? We own a 25' 1983 Catalina and I'm trying to come up with a way to bend it back. Any suggestions ?? thanks

J

Joe Passanisi

Ahh Yes the dreaded kink in the pulpit

My Catalina 27 was purchased with a kink in the bow pulpit already there. I heated the metal with a torch and som map gas. You can buy it at wall mart. The other method is use a conduit bender which electritians use to bend conduit pipe. It will not kink the pulpit but will help put it back into shape. The third method is Visit spinnies used sailes at www.spinnies.com I think. But he has some brand new stern rails and bow pulpits, windows anchors and sails. He is located in Calafornia

R

Rob Rich

Correct Website Address

The website address Joe was referring to is http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/ They do have lots of surplus rails. Please follow this post and let us know what you do with your pulpit. I am interested in this because I am sure that it is only a matter a time before I bend mine! Thanks - Rob

G

gary jensen

How to straighten out your pulpit

A very easy and resoursful way of straightening out your bow pulpit yourself is to do a spanish windlass. You can place a sturdy piece if angle iron at an anchor point away from the area then put a strong rope around the two pieces. The loop must be continuous and not able to slip. Place a piece of pipe or metal between the rope and start turning the pipe which twists the rope (making it taught)and pulls the stainless tubing back in place. If you need to bend stainless steel tubing (by itself) make sure you fill the tubing with sand to stop it from kinking. If you need more help email me.Good luck...sail1752@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.