Oops...Doh' - Acetone Mishap

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
During my re-wire I had a good portion of my interior cabinetry out of the boat. One piece, the HUGE cabinet above the STBD settee needed some attention so I stripped it and re-finished it.

So I am just about ready to apply the final coat of rubbed effect finish, after three coats of gloss have already been applied, and then I do it..

I reach for my gallon of denatured alcohol and a microfiber rag to "tack" off my bronze wool & sanding residue and actually grabbed the gallon of ACETONE! :doh::cussing::cussing::cussing:

Yup you guessed it, I saturated the rag in acetone and before I even realized it had wiped the entire front of the cabinet. When the rag began to get "grabby" I suddenly realized what I had done but it was far to late. The three coats of gloss just blistering like a vapor trail behind my rag, the entire three coats of gloss, sand, gloss, sand gloss, sand was TOAST.

I guess when you get so comfortable with acetone that you don't even notice the difference between it and the sweet smell of denatured alcohol you've been working on boats a little to long.:eek:

I managed to strip the cabinet back down in about 4-5 hours time and began the long process of apply finish, wait 24 hours, sand do over until I was done. It is finally back in the boat and I managed to not chip it climbing up the ladder with an 80 pound piece of furniture & re-installing it..

My acetone is now a DIFFERENT BRAND than my denatured alcohol cause my nose obviously no longer works..:doh::doh::doh::doh::D:D:D:D

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this.,.;););) In hind sight I should have taken photos but I was soooo pissed off that the last thing on my mind was the camera...:cry:

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Oops...Doh'

I once was repairing a brick column that a homeowner had knocked down. Had it all nice and straight and plumb and got near the top and found that I was going to miss the corner of the roof by about a foot. So I tore it down cleaned the bricks and stretched a string from the contact point on the roof to the footing on the ground and started over. Not as big a disapointment but still an awsh**.

Jan 22, 2008
Clark San Juan 28 Everett WA

Wow, I once put lockTite in my front door lock (intending to use Graphite). Same size tube. The lock was no longer a little sticky. It's brand new :-(

My family will never finish teasing me about it, EVER. :) We must be able to laugh at ourselves after we cool off.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.

Ah Ken: Do something right and no one remembers. Do something wrong and no one forgets. Do not forget this, it will ALWAYS be true.

May 8, 2010
AmericaSail 14-6 my driveway

OUCH! I applaud your dedication. I think after a good cry and two-fisted scream at the sky I would have covered it in shelf paper.

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY

Wow... My Go-To Guy makes mistakes (and publishes for all to see). I am so happy that I am not the only one that gets a little too wrapped up in a process that he forgets to check twice and act once.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack

Well

That sounds about like having the second can of Perfection in the RECALL batch and having to strip the mast back to bare metal :(

Gail R

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson 34 Freeport, ME

Oh Maine Sail ... it does my heart good to hear that even you, the god of boat maintenance, are not perfect!! Just goes to show that even the most highly skilled among us make mistakes once in a while.

BTW... this little story came a bit late. My column on boating blunders was submitted a week ago. Maybe next time... (and don't worry, I never include names).

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
It is finally back in the boat and I managed to not chip it climbing up the ladder with an 80 pound piece of furniture & re-installing it..

How's the back? Now that would have been the real mistake.
Working on boats can be very dangerous, everyone please be careful. Nothing is more important than your health. Without it there is no point in owning a boat in the first place.

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL

Maine, perhaps your mistakes are the reason for your humility and why your posts are so well received.

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Maine Sail...don't do this to us! I don't want to know that you are fallible. Now I have to question ALL the advice you've been giving out! :D

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Perfection

Maine,
And after all this time, and your many posts, we all believed you to be perfect. Now we find out that you are fallible. So now you know how the rest of us do it.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater

I was working on an outboard motor lower unit, as I recall, in a buddies shop. After buttoning things back up, i asked where his hand cleaner was. He motioned around the corner, and said: "on the counter over there somehwere." I found a bucket, opened the lid, scooped a handfull out and started scrubbing, both hands fully covered, only to figure out I was in the wrong bucket. I had gotten into the linoleum adhesive....

Now, can I please borrow some actone? :D