Ongoing saga with intermittent starter

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 30mk1 Plattsburgh
First of all, I have written about this in the past. Since then, I have investigated and addressed some issues, so, I will start a new thread.

I've had an intermittent starter issue on my 1986 Catalina 30/universal M25 since I bought the boat from the PO, about a year ago. When I hit the starter button, one of two things happen. Either the engine starts without problem, or, the solenoid engages (I hear the click) but the starter fails to turn. When it fails, I simply try again. The second or third try usually does the trick.

From what I've been reading, the most obvious problem is the
solenoid / starter itself. So, I bought a new starter/solenoid and installed it. I still have the same problem. (I found the new starter for only 90$, so it wasn't really a waste a guess). It doesn't seem therefore that the problem is downstream.

Yesterday, I opened the engine instrument panel and checked the starter switch itself. When my voltmeter is touching the switch, the voltage falls from 12v to nearly 0 volts. This is true whether or not the starter turns, or, the solenoid clicks but the starter fails to engage. So, there does not seem to be a problem with the starter switch. So, upstream does not seem to be the problem.

What else could it be?

It seems to me that wire size running from the switch to the solenoid is quite small. Could that cause it?

Also, when I took out the old starter I noticed a significant amount of rust particles on the teeth of the starter and collecting around the flywheel. Could that be a symptom of something?

Is there anything midstream I can check?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Roger.

Jun 11, 2014
Catalina 30 Channel Islands
I had a similar problem. I have a 1985 Catalina 30. I would push the starter button and nothing happens. I thought it was the batteries but when I had them checked, they were fine. When replacing both batteries, the ground wire separated from the terminal end. I replaced the cable and no more starting problems.

Check all of the cables.

Sep 15, 2013
Hi Odyssey 30.

Which ground wire are you talking about? It runs from where to where?

Thanks,
Roger.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
voltage drop

common problem old wiring. Easiest fix is to install a relay. easier than a new wiring harness.

Jun 4, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 352 NYC
I had a similar problem on a beneteau, went from a 12 gauge wire to a new 10 gauge wire and no problems since. I changed out everything else first, per suggestions, and the real problem was 10ft of 10AWG wire - try it first before spending on the big items.

Sep 15, 2013
Hi Rob.

Do you mean run a larger wire from the starter switch, through the harness, then to the solenoid?

The harness can come apart? I tried to pull it apart, but it would not budge. Are they meant to be taken apart?

Sep 15, 2013
Hi Rick.

I'm not familiar with relays.

Do you have a suggestion of a good site where I can read up on how to do this?

Thanks,
Roger.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I put one of those relays in my 356 and it was the end of the problem. Search the archives. There was a picture of the relay repair and also a diagram. I still have them and will post if necessary. Some argue for a whole new wire which is good too. An easy diagnostic is to run a new heavier wire without bothering to hide it and see if it solves the problem.

Jun 11, 2014
Catalina 30 Channel Islands
in my case, the ground wire that jumped between the two batteries was bad. check all of the wires. The wires looked good but the end terminal just slid off the end.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
You have to understand what the solenoid does and how it does it. it does 2 things, connects the starter windings to the batteries with a high amp switch and engages the starter motor gear into the engine flywheel gear. this is a two step process mechanical then electrical. so when you hit the starter button and you hear only a click the gear is engaged but the high amp switch has not made contact. The second step works against a stronger portion of the bendix spring and so if you don't have the voltage (and associated amps to make the magnetic field) the solenoid windings do not produce enough magnetic field to fully draw the iron core in and you get click and not turning.
ALL this is due to resistance in the solenoid control wire. measuring the voltage with no current flowing does NOT give any indication of the problem. You have to test the circuit when it is drawing (working) current.
If you are not concerned with rapidly swapping out your engine I would recommend neutering your engine wiring to remove all the quick connectors.
if you really want to test for this condition get your helper to press the start button while you measure the voltage between the solenoid control terminal and ground. if you don't have working current flowing and just probe the disconnected wire you will get battery voltage. connect the wire and test and you get 8-9 volts (which fails to fully energize the bendix spring.

Jun 4, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 352 NYC
I just disconnected the 12AWG wire from the solenoid and the switch and ran a new wire outside the harness(of course I wire tied it to the harness). Pulling the old wire out of the original harness seemed pointless.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I had the EXACT same problem, the PO lived with it for years. I checked (I thought) the ground to engine. It wasn't until I disconnected and re-installed that the problem was resolved. The connection was not tight enough even though when wiglling it it seemed fine at first. Disconnect, clean and re-install your ground. I've had no problems since.

For others advise, they are spot on, just start with your ground.
Every terminal that can come off, pull it off, clean and inspect closely for fray, broken or cracked copper strands. Anything in ? should be redone. Clean, re-install and SECURELY fasten.

Good luck

Sep 15, 2013
Hi Apex.

Where is the engine ground? I read somewhere a while back that the engine ground the issue. I couldn't find the ground nut though. I'll research more.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
Hi Rick.

I'm not familiar with relays.

Do you have a suggestion of a good site where I can read up on how to do this?

Thanks,
Roger.
Roger,

here's my file on starter wiring problems. The relay bit is at the end. I've had the problem for years and finally installed a relay. No more problem.

Rick,
Don't swap starters. It's not the problem.
Sitting next to the starter are two molded connectors. The larger one has two larger pins in it. Spread the pins back apart. There is a similar connector about a foot off of the panel. Do the same there.
This is a normal problem with the older Yanmar panels and harnesses.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:41 pm Post subject: hard starting Reply with quote
The problem with aging Yanmars not engaging the starter is the wiring. Adding a relay to the starter solves the problem. You can use a continuous duty marine solenoid from West Marine or pick one up at NAPA for the purpose.

The solenoid should have four posts, two high amp, two low amp. On the low amp circuit, connect the starter key wire to one post, and ground the second post. Enaging the key will trip this circuit. On the high amp side, connect a #8 guage wire from the solenoid to the battey/alternator post on the starter motor. Then from the second high amp post run a #8 guage wire back to the post on the starter where the wire from the key originally came from.

Engaging the key will trip the low amp circuit which in turm engages the high amp connection which gives you a very healthy current to the starter solenoid.

Another thing you can do is add a remote start switch (for example near the engine) by connecting a second switch (make sure it is fused) beyween the battery side of the high amp circuit on the solenoid and the key side of the low amp circuit.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:05 pm Post subject: starter problem Reply with quote
I had the same problem--each time I heard a click from the starter, but it wouldn't start turning the motor. I had to hit the start button multiple times, and eventually it would start. Last year I bought a new starter and replaced it, but still had the same problem. Then I read some of the other posts that mentioned that the wires were not sufficiently thick to handle the current from the switch to the solenoid, and they recommended putting in a second solenoid. I found it hard to believe that this would work because the wire seems to be around 12 gauge already which you would think is sufficient, but I figured I'd try it and I purchased a solenoid model COLE HERSEE 24117-01-BP 201337 from west marine, and installed it yesterday. I used thick cables 4 gauge from the battery switch to the solenoid, and 10 gauge from the solenoid to the starter (although you may want to go to 4 gauge for both). Then tested it 4 times-- each time the engine started on the first try. So this fixed my problem.
Sorry to continue this thread on the Yanmar starting problem, but I'm 12 volt challenged as well, and a bit confused on how to rewire the problem away.

My 1988 IP31 has the 3GM30F engine, and I've had this oft-described starting problem for most of this boats life. I'm in agreement that the under spec'd wiring harness is the problem, and I would throw in the cheap 30 amp fuse holder, that appears to be 16 gauge wire between the 10 or 12 gauge wiring running from the key switch to the starter solenoid. I bought the Cole Hersee #24117 solenoid, and after tracing my wiring from starter button, key switch, alternator and starter solenoid, and then reviewing the wiring setup from "dgrosz" (4/23/05), and "mjs2" (5/26/05), I'm still confused.

"mjs2" is running a wire from the "battery switch" (?) to the solenoid. I assume he meant the starter key switch. "dgrosz" describes grounding the CH solenoid on one low post, then connect the other low post to the starter key (assume at the red wire post). Then from the CH high post, run a wire to the starter solenoid post where the current red fused wire and battery cable terminal are attached. That would replace the red wire running up to the starter solenoid, via the questionable wiring harness and fuse connector. He then connects the other high post on the CH solenoid to the alternator battery ("BAT") terminal. I see were this takes the red wire and its fuse from the wiring harness out of the mix. I also assume that the existing starter solenoid mounted on the starter stays in place. Neither really states that. I assume the CH solenoid and heavier wire (I'll use 8 gauge) is doing nothing more than to get away from the wiring harness (at least the red wire key-to-starter solenoid part of it). If I'm correct up to this point, it would appear to me that I need to remove the red wire running from the alternator/BAT terminal to the battery power terminal on the existing starter solenoid. Do I have this right ? Are there different wiring harnesses by boat manufacturer ? (Note, a 1987 Cal 33 in my boat yard has same engine and wiring harness, and the same problem) If I'm wrong, can someone describe the setup simply for a boat with the Yanmar panel with a starter button and key switch ? Up here in RI, I will not be firing up the engine for another couple of weeks, and would like to avoid blowing out something.

Starter switch wiring...

This seems to be a common problem on Yanmars. I have it from time-to-time on my 4 cylinder 4JH-TE. I have done a whole bunch of research on it, and the general consensus is that the problem is caused by the wiring to the starter solenoid.
Yanmar starter solenoids have two windings, a high current coil that pulls the solenoid in (and then is turned off), and a lower current "holding" coil that holds the plunger in place. The result is a brief high current spike that happens as you push the starter button.
If the wiring to the starter button is too long, too smaller gage, or the starter switch has developed some contact resistance, the added resistance will not allow sufficient current through the solenoid to pull-in adequately during the initial current spike (Ohm's Law).
The general consensus (which I have not yet adopted) is to install an automotive type relay close to the engine, and use heavier gage wire from the battery, through the relay contacts, to the starter solenoid. In other words, the starter switch merely closes the relay, which then supplies the initial current surge through a low resistance path.
Whether this is your problem I can't say, but there are numerous threads around on various forums that indicate that this is the fix.

The solution. Install a small 12V relay at the starter solenoid. Wire the key switch to the relay. Take power from the positive starter lug to the relay. Then wire the relay to the solenoid. Now the key switch only has to provide enough power for a small 12V relay, basically nothing and will have no issue with that at all.

The relay part# I use:
Tyco
12V
V23234-A0001-X032

There are 5 pins on the relay:

87 - Jumper to starter male spade terminal
86 - Wire from Yanmar panel (used to go directly to starter)
30 - Positive jumper from large positive cable attached to starter.
85 - To Ground
87a - Not used

So, without this relay, you have 1 large nut on your starter, with a rather thick positive cable on it (this should come from your start battery). And, you should have 1 smaller cable, with a spade female disconnect on it that is connected to a spade post on the starter (this will come from the Yanmar engine panel at your helm station).

You need to remove this wire from the spade on the starter, connect it to position 86 on the relay. Then you make two short runs of cable, one going back to that spade male terminal on the starter from position 87, and another one from the big nut/positive cable on the starter to position 30 on the relay. Then a short ground wire to your engine ground from position 85 on the relay.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Just run a wire from the start switch (side that is hot only when switch is pressed) to starter solenoid to test.
If no issues, make it permanent.
No need to overthink this.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
follow negative leads from battery to bus to engine. Check all points between, with the batteries disconnected first for safety.

Sep 15, 2013
Just run a wire from the start switch (side that is hot only when switch is pressed) to starter solenoid to test.
If no issues, make it permanent.
No need to overthink this.
Hi Weinie.

My start switch has two wires coming out if it. Oddly enough, those two wires connect to other terminals on the instrument panel before going through the harness.

When you say run a wire from the hot side, what does that mean?

Thanks,
Roger.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Hi Weinie.

My start switch has two wires coming out if it. Oddly enough, those two wires connect to other terminals on the instrument panel before going through the harness.

When you say run a wire from the hot side, what does that mean?

Thanks,
Roger.
It's just a switch. One side is hot (+12) when you turn the key. The other post goes to your starter and is +12 when the switch is pressed.

If that post and its wire does does not go directly to the starter, it may go to the glow plug switch so that both the glow plug button needs to be depressed for the starter to be energized.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Bill is right. You have to understand how it works and develop a plan to troubleshoot. IMHO, a relay is a bad fix.. It is a band aid and is just another possible failure mechanism and the unknown wire problems just continue over time. Running new wire in a boat isn't that difficult. It might have to take another path than the builder did but it can be done. You can buy a remote start switch at the auto parts store real cheap. Connect it across the starter and see if it starts reliably. If the solenoid requires an external ground, be careful you don't put bat voltage to that terminal. This is equivalent to "hot wiring"..also, a "new" starter for <$100 raises an eyebrow??I take starters/motors to a well known local rebuild shop. A competent electrician should be able to find out what's wrong under 1/2 hr.

Sep 15, 2013
Bill is right. You have to understand how it works and develop a plan to troubleshoot. IMHO, a relay is a bad fix.. It is a band aid and is just another possible failure mechanism and the unknown wire problems just continue over time. Running new wire in a boat isn't that difficult. It might have to take another path than the builder did but it can be done. You can buy a remote start switch at the auto parts store real cheap. Connect it across the starter and see if it starts reliably. If the solenoid requires an external ground, be careful you don't put bat voltage to that terminal. This is equivalent to "hot wiring"..also, a "new" starter for <$100 raises an eyebrow??I take starters/motors to a well known local rebuild shop. A competent electrician should be able to find out what's wrong under 1/2 hr.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to check the ground first. If that works out I will try to run a larger wire from the switch to the solenoid and take it from there. Looks like I'm going to have a fun weekend.

One way or another I'm getting this damn problem fixed.