One HOT Macgregor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2010
Macgregor 22 Southern Maine / NH
My Mac 22... My workshop(1800sq ft) caught fire and my boat was about 30 feet away and the heat melted it. No insurance on the boat, none on the building either. I've been working on the boat over the last 1 1/2 years and was planning on finally getting it the water this summer.

I don't know if any of the parts are salvageable but if anyone wants them, they are welcome to them. The keel might be ok but it was in the workshop that burned, along with the sails, motor, cushions, and anything else that was on the boat.

Attachments

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
That is sad. Sorry for your loss.

(I'd post on craisglist... the SS rails and the lower unit from the ob should be good, + keel )

Feb 2, 2010
That is sad. Sorry for your loss.

(I'd post on craisglist... the SS rails and the lower unit from the ob should be good, + keel )
Thanks.

The outboard is gone... It melted. There is very little left of it, if any. I haven't been able to dig around yet (waiting for ins. co). The SS rails look like they had some heat damage, as they are discolored. Although, they are not warped. The keel wasn't in the best condition anyway, it had a lot of flaking. I'll probably sell it to a scrap yard unless someone wants it.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Thanks.

The outboard is gone... It melted. There is very little left of it, if any. I haven't been able to dig around yet (waiting for ins. co). (snip)
Sorry to hear this. If you had no insurance on the boat or building, why are you waiting for the insurance company?

Feb 2, 2010
Sorry to hear this. If you had no insurance on the boat or building, why are you waiting for the insurance company?
Although we didn't purchase insurance to cover the building, it is still covered by the 10% rider from the house insurance. Also the contents are covered, except the boat and anything related. They do this so you have to buy separate coverage for the boat.

Since the cause has been "undetermined", we have to wait until they decide they don't want to investigate. Which I am sure they won't since it is a small loss to them.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Although we didn't purchase insurance to cover the building, it is still covered by the 10% rider from the house insurance. Also the contents are covered, except the boat and anything related. They do this so you have to buy separate coverage for the boat.

Since the cause has been "undetermined", we have to wait until they decide they don't want to investigate. Which I am sure they won't since it is a small loss to them.
Why does this story lead me to dislike insurance companies even more?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sorry for the loss.
What do you think did cause the fire?

30ft away. That was one hot fire! Good thing there wasn't gas onboard.

Feb 2, 2010
Sorry for the loss.
What do you think did cause the fire?

30ft away. That was one hot fire! Good thing there wasn't gas onboard.

It was most likely electrical. The fire started close to where the meter and electrical panel is. I hadn't been out there in over two weeks and everything was shut off. The building was about 40 years old and had pretty much the same wiring since. About a month before the fire, the electric company came out to put a smart meter on. The smart meter is now "missing". I am not saying it caused the fire, just stating facts

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
It was most likely electrical. The fire started close to where the meter and electrical panel is. I hadn't been out there in over two weeks and everything was shut off. The building was about 40 years old and had pretty much the same wiring since. About a month before the fire, the electric company came out to put a smart meter on. The smart meter is now "missing". I am not saying it caused the fire, just stating facts
I'm an electrician and I find this most interesting..........keep us posted

Feb 2, 2010
I'm an electrician and I find this most interesting..........keep us posted

That is pretty much the end of it. The fire investigators are leaving it undetermined and the insurance company doesn't want to investigate. There are complaints all over the country of the smart meters causing fires and I know the power company here has complaints against their smart meter policy and their safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.