On board basic tool kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2008
-Catalina 390 Middle Rivver, MD
What would be a recommended tool kit? Is there a basic kit that can be purchased or is it best to buy individual tools, if individual what is the best way to organize and store.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
WM has a good marine tool kit with wrenches, sockets, allen wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, etc. You'll want to also purchase a hacksaw, spare blades, extra-large flathead screw driver, hammer, mallet, and multimeter. I keep all my tools in what I call my DC locker, and I teach my crew that's where everything can be found - including first aid kits.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The size of your boat would be helpful. The tools I needed on our C22 were way different than what I needed on our C25 and now with our diesel engine on our C34.

Don't buy cheap tools. You end up paying for them in the end. I still have a Craftsman socket ratchet set from my 1971 VW Bug!

If you buy a "set" of tools, make sure that each and every "bit" has a place that "locks" the tools into the case, or else one day you'll open it upside down and spend days putting stuff back.

Most kits won't have channel lock pliers, always good to have.

Don't buy tools at a "marine" store.

I use our nav station for tool storage, with a kitchen utensil separator. I find it's a lot easier to get to and replace tools than a separate "tool" bag or box - I don't have to dig around to find stuff. I found a different place for our charts. The table top is held up by a spring hatch holder.

Most sailing books will give you a good list of tools you need. Most of the time you'll find that only a half dozen sizes are needed. Popular sizes are the usually 1/4, 1/2, 9/16 variety. Hose clamp screws are 9/32 and we've found a ratchet socket on those makes it fast work.

An impact screwdriver is invaluable for stubborn fasteners.

You'll end up with some specialized tools that you will find come in handy. I have mine, you'll have yours. Best one for me so far (since 1998 with this boat): a drywall screw to remove stuffing from a stuffing box!

You should also assemble an electrical kit.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
tool kit

your tool kit will include every tool necessary and the spare part included that you think you can change while under way. I,m always the last boat in our fleet because I carry every tool I used to repower the boat plus every spare part off the old motor and several new parts plus calk ,rtv spray lube, every kind of glue known, oil, battery drill ,rivits ,screws ,pullys but must importantly 1/4 braided line I tie everything down with it and made alternator belts out of it .

gpdno

May 16, 2011
Watkins 27 Venice
Also be sure and get a can of Boeshield T9 or at least an oily rag to wipe down the tools. Salt air is a corrosive environment. You nice expensive tools with rust away to nothing if they aren't protected.

Oct 12, 2008
Stu Jackson said:
The size of your boat would be helpful. The tools I needed on our C22 were way different than what I needed on our C25 and now with our diesel engine on our C34.

Don't buy cheap tools. You end up paying for them in the end. I still have a Craftsman socket ratchet set from my 1971 VW Bug!

If you buy a "set" of tools, make sure that each and every "bit" has a place that "locks" the tools into the case, or else one day you'll open it upside down and spend days putting stuff back.

Most kits won't have channel lock pliers, always good to have.

Don't buy tools at a "marine" store.

I use our nav station for tool storage, with a kitchen utensil separator. I find it's a lot easier to get to and replace tools than a separate "tool" bag or box - I don't have to dig around to find stuff. I found a different place for our charts. The table top is held up by a spring hatch holder.

Most sailing books will give you a good list of tools you need. Most of the time you'll find that only a half dozen sizes are needed. Popular sizes are the usually 1/4, 1/2, 9/16 variety. Hose clamp screws are 9/32 and we've found a ratchet socket on those makes it fast work.

An impact screwdriver is invaluable for stubborn fasteners.

You'll end up with some specialized tools that you will find come in handy. I have mine, you'll have yours. Best one for me so far (since 1998 with this boat): a drywall screw to remove stuffing from a stuffing box!

You should also assemble an electrical kit.
Thank you for the helpful ideas. I will start looking for the tools and a good storage.

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
I also keep a small organizer box with an assortment of electrical stuff. Fuses, butt splices, extra screws and nuts, hose clamps asstd sizes. That stuff always comes in handy. Oh, and a can of McLube and some electrical tape.

Oct 12, 2008
kappykaplan said:
WM has a good marine tool kit with wrenches, sockets, allen wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, etc. You'll want to also purchase a hacksaw, spare blades, extra-large flathead screw driver, hammer, mallet, and multimeter. I keep all my tools in what I call my DC locker, and I teach my crew that's where everything can be found - including first aid kits.
Thank you you for the good ideas

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Don't forget a cork screw and bottle opener and maybe a shaker/strainer for cocktails. I know with some people the only thing they can fix on a boat is a martini. ;-)

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I have several plastic tool boxes for tools. One small one is for everyday tools that I keep in the cabin. Bigger tool boxes are stored in the cockpit storage lockers, and are organized by use, one for oil changes, another for heavy maintenance, etc.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Oh, and a can of McLube and some electrical tape.
Ah. McLube. Love that stuff. 1000s of uses!

Also plan to start a rigging kit, filled with expensive bits of shiny stainless steel. Rings, cotters, shackles, toggles, pins, and clips.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I'd tailor the tool kit to the boat and cruising grounds. I sailed a Bostan Whaler Supercat for a few years up and down the Indian River and the only tool I carried was a Leatherman.
On my smaller mono hulls, the tool kit consisted of spare spark plug with one of those cheep sockets with a hole for a handle, 2 cresent wrenches, vice grip pliers, screwdrivers, elect tape, pocket knife, hunk/scrap of duplex wire, , loose screws and nuts and a small box with rigging related bits. Oh, and the Leathman.
When we moved up to bigger boats with a heck of a lot more room and a lot more things to maintain/fix, I went with full socket and wrench sets, spares, etc. onboard and had a dock box that held anything that I wanted near, but not neccessarily on, the boat.
Cruising is a a different story and IMO tools/spare are as important as provisions. If you eventually want to go cruising, plan everything as if you are the only one left in the world (and really are responsible for ship and crew= "Captain") and not with the attitude that if you have a problem you can just call someone. That attitude bites a lot of people in the ass.

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Don't forget a cork screw and bottle opener and maybe a shaker/strainer for cocktails. I know with some people the only thing they can fix on a boat is a martini. ;-)

I know that's a shot at me, BB but you have admit the drinks were might tasty...

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Also plan to start a rigging kit, filled with expensive bits of shiny stainless steel. Rings, cotters, shackles, toggles, pins, and clips.[/quote]

Yep, I got all that in my handy little organizer box.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I like to have a knife designed for sailing with a Marlin spike on it for breaking the back of stiff knots in lines & to help in opening stiff shackles & turnbuckles, etc. Rigging tape and a heavy sailcloth sewing needle is a must for repairing sails if torn while far from shore. Having spares for hose clamps, extra impellers & engine belts is a must. If U use a gas engine, extra sparks & starter fluid helps when they get too wet. I swear by having a backup emergency jump start battery with built in terminal clamps aboard. Saved my butt from a dead starter battery more than once. Some like the leatherman knife, I've always relied on a swiss army knife for the basic needs. It fits in any pocket, and the cork screw also comes in handy at the end of the day. Cheers.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Take a wrench set around the boat and figure out which ones you need for your boat, carry only ones that fit your boat and label what they are for. This eliminates pawing through a bag full of 18 wrenches, only 4 of which can fit anything on your boat. And as others have stated, every boat is different. If you have an inboard and through hulls then you'll need plumbers' wrenches as you will become a plumber. Rule of Thumb is whatever tool you need when your on the boat will be back home, and when home you'll realize you left a tool on the boat.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Oh, sorry, blue collar tool kit. I often go to the C22 site for comic relief "Can I use duct tape and two blue tarps for a mainsheet? or lighter fluid instead of starter fluid or "I found this boat in the weeds with no trailer mast or rigging, can I get the parts at WalMart?"

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Every boat needs a roll of silicone tape. It only sticks (very well - welds really) to itself. It would mend a gas line, water line, insulate electrical lines and about 2.6 million other uses. Google silicone tape. Get it at your local hardware or uline.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.