Olin Marine Signal Kit

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You will need a flare kit. Spring for an electric flare. Much safer and cheaper in the long run. Do a search for required USCG safety gear

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Probably not, here's a page to Virginia requirements but it pertains to "coastal waters" and doesn't address inland requirements. Either way you may not need everything but will need a whistle, flag and mirror that maybe in that container.
Equipment Regulations

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have one of those containers that was on my boat. Good for keeping flares if you decide to get them. But it is costly to replace them every 3 years.

If you only sail in the daylight, I believe you can get away with whistle, orange day flag and a mirror (Not even sure the mirror is required).

If you sail at night, an ”electronic flare” is a good investment. This “kit” on Amazon has both the electronic flare and the day marker flag. Price seems reasonable. Just change the batteries in the flare every spring and you should be good.

I use an electronic flare. I got tired of buying$100 worth of flares every 3 years. And I think that the hand-held ones are a fire or burn risk on a boat. I have this one..looks like the big difference is the flotation ring on the Sirius unit.

Hopefully, you never need these devices, but if you get inspected, better to have in-date flares or the electronic flare and the day flag.

Greg

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
If you sail at night, an ”electronic flare” is a good investment. This “kit” on Amazon has both the electronic flare and the day marker flag. Price seems reasonable. Just change the batteries in the flare every spring and you should be good.

I use an electronic flare. I got tired of buying$100 worth of flares every 3 years. And I think that the hand-held ones are a fire or burn risk on a boat. I have this one..looks like the big difference is the flotation ring on the Sirius unit.

Hopefully, you never need these devices, but if you get inspected, better to have in-date flares or the electronic flare and the day flag.

Greg
Like Greg,
I stopped buying the hand held flares as well. I have the Sirius Signal C1004.
I’ve given many expired flares to friends, keep them in my car for emergency use and still have 20+ on hand.
Check them out, good investment.