Older Yamaha 9' sailing dinghy

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomc938

I am looking for any information on an old sailing dinghy I recently purchased.

It is built by Yamaha, and the the three tuning fork logo on the sail. The logo is followed by "_ 9" and the boat is about 9' long, leading me to believe it's a Yamaha 9' sail dinghy. (how's that for deductive reasoning)

In particular I would like to find information on the daggerboard dimensions (this one is missing) and how to properly rig this little boat.

I've tried Google and the local marine store. If someone could help out that would be great.

Thanks!

Tom

T

tomc938

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions! I found it interesting that as far as I can tell, there's no class logo on the sail, although there is a sail number - curious.

I'm hoping to find out something at the dealership tomorrow. You would think they would keep track of their product somewhere.

Tom

T

tomc938

No closer, but still kicking...

So I stopped at the dealership - the one guy didn't even realize Yamaha made sailboats!

I was able to get the phone number of Yamaha Canada (where I live) and I hope to call in the next couple days.

I would really like to get ahold of the owner's manual for this boat, either OEM or scanned.

Does anyone have a manual for something LIKE this (small sail dinghy) I could get a copy of?

Thanks!

Tom

T

tomc938

I didn't get too far on the web, so I called Yamaha Canada. They didn't handle sailboats at all, so they suggested I call Yamaha Japan and see where that got me. They didn't think that kind of thing was done there, and couldn't say how I would be received. With long-distance what it is, I made a call.

I talked to a nice young woman who spoke excellent English. Within three hours they scanned and e-mailed an old sales brochure they dug up somwhere. The resolution was excellent! What surprised me was it came with an apology that they were not able to find an owners manual. A few days later they sent 3 pages from the service manual for the boat that answered the last question I had!

The boat is a Yamaha-9 (how creative!) and was built between 1973-1979 for the Japanese market.

I can't say enough good about Yamaha customer service! They went way above and beyond...

Tom

I

iBorisch

I've got a Yamaha 13-cicala and I love to have more info about that boat. I've searched over 2 years until I found your posts todat. Can you mail me the phonenumber you've called so I can contact Yamaha too?

Thank you in advance.

Joris I. Vuurens
jivuurens@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.