Oil weight question.

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
Holdec, first off, if the oil the original owner was

using was API-SL then it was not actually "non-detergent" as then it would be API-SA. The biggest error right off the bat though is if it was designated only for gasoline engines only. The "S" in the API rating indicates "spark ignition" and is for gasoline engines. A "C" in the API rating indicates "compression fired" and refers to diesel engines. Often diesel crankcase oil carries both diesel rating and gasoline rating. On the other hand gasoline engine oil will indicate use in "gasoline engines only" as many as 5 times on a single bottle. Another dubious choice would be why he was using API-SL in any engine when that designation has been replaced literally decades ago now up to API-SN for gasoline engines. Lastly, straight 30 weight, and there is high detergent 30 weight diesel oil, even if acceptable would not be preferred.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
OOps - made a couple typo's...

I had meant 15W40 as the oil I'll now be using (not 5W40). That's what Yanmar now recommends. I will be using Shell Rotella T.

I also goofed on the API designation of the oil but it definitely is non-detergent as it says that in big letters on the label. I don't have a bottle in front of me but the API designation started with an "s".

Chris

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I did the exact same that you did last year. I put in 30W and immediately afterwards found a bottle of 15W40 in a locker from the PO. I changed it to Delo 15W40 after advice from this forum. Live and learn.