Oil leak in Yanmar 1gm10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2008
Santana 30/30 GP Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I have a 1987 Santana 30/30 GP sailboat with a Yanmar 1GM10 which I suspect is the same age as the boat. I developed an oil leak in the brass (?) oil line that runs from the front of the engine near the fuel filter, below and behind the water pump then up vertically to near the top of the engine. The total length of the line is about 12" with two 'bango' fittings one brazed/soldered to each end of the line, and 4 brass washers, two on each 'bango' fitting which form the seal.

I'm posting this in an attempt to assist others who one day may experience a similar leak in this or another engine. I reviewed posts of a similar topic prior to effecting the repair/replacment of the pipe. The bottom line is that I removed the oil line, the bango fittings and the washers with a metric socket, took the assembly to the local radiator shop, Fort Walton Beach Floirida, USA, and the fine folks rebuilt the entire line, got the angles all perfect, soldered/brazed the bango fittings back on and wrote me up an invoice for $63. The line developed its leak on Saturday, I took the line into the radiator shop at 900 AM Monday and it was ready to pickup and reinstall at 1200 the same day.

I purchased new brass sealing washers from the local NAPA auto parts store, purchased two quarts of 10W-40 Heavy duty oil, and I was out on the water again by 2:00 PM. Life is good, I hope that this knowledge will assist others some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.