Oil in the Gulf

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
We were planning our annual Gulf cruise and were planning to commence around Memorial Day. Our boat is docked in Madisonville, LA on Lake Ponchertrain. Now that the oil is in the gulf, we are contemplating cancelling our cruise as we do not want to expose our boat to the oil and are also concerned that if we leave the lake, we may not be able to re-enter the lake if the oil spreads.:evil: What are the other gulf cruisers pllanning in light of the oil?

Oct 28, 2008
none none LA
Our boat is in Pass Christian. The harbor is surrounded with booms (looks like 1 going around the outside of the seawall, 2 layers around the inside of the seawall), but the entrance is being kept open until the oil is near.

We've got a trip to Pensacola planned for July, and have the same concerns as you.

--Michael

BillyR

May 17, 2010
Catalina 30 Mandeville Louisiana
John

We sail out of Mandeville. We also were planning a trip in the gulf. Have changed our mind. Thinking about a tour of the lake.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
None Here

Well we don't have any oil here down in Charlotte Harbor gulf area and tampa and Sarasota is on TV telling all the Vacation people that thier beaches are still in the top ten.
Maybe sailing south would be good if you can or stay in the lake,it's a bummer with this oil spill doing so much damage to peoples lives but sailing is not as important as peoples lively hood and the future damage.
Nick

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Same Here

I have all sailing plans for the summer on hold, other than staying in the lake for short sails. Have the same fear as I had a couple weeks back, not being able to get back. I have to pull the boat in a couple of weeks, and if they start booming off areas, may not even be able to do that. Biggest thing is, no one knows squat about what to expect. Only thing for sure is there is a lot of oil out there, and it is going to end up somewhere.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i am hoping that phillip(nice n easy) comes to sin diego to help me sail my formosa to mazatlan while the oil is wreaking havok int he gulf--is totally different kind of sailing adventure an would be killer fun!! mebbe spend some time in the sea of cortez and find the shrimpers who trade pulpo for shrimps ..lol....the fishing is still good in mexico--just have to have license for sure......

timvg

May 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Long Beach, CA
I'm hoping that my state (California) isn't stupid enough to approve any future offshore drilling. It looks like the Gulf didn't have much in the way of regulations. What a shame.

Mar 13, 2009
irwin 37 (73-74) grand harbor marina
think about the amount of oil, entering the gulf stream, let it ooze up the the east coast, add a hurricane or two, my question is where is the navy and the high tech robots that work at that depth?

timvg

May 10, 2004
Unfortunately, this is one example where unregulated private business didn't take care of itself. If we would have had tougher laws, we might have avoided this mess. Don't think our defense budget is for cleaning up corporate mistakes and I don't think the Navy has ever built mile deep oil cleanup equipment. They are for defending our country, not helping out BP.

How come the oil companies don't know how to keep their own industry safe. What a crock.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
the regulations were weakened by the administration of this great nation so we could show a better gnp with oil production--what a joke
bp took it a step farther and denied the need for safety and voila---mess from hell...

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL
I thought the BP rig was in international waters? How can additional regulation help?

Mar 13, 2009
irwin 37 (73-74) grand harbor marina
the wife plans on retireing in 2 years.it looks like the places we plan on cruising are going to be fouled by then and long after. like Nick said the impact to the people and wildlife is more important. we can cruise the the inland waters and probably never get bored. how crowded are the inland waters going to get when the coastal cruisers get tired of cleaning sludge off their decks and hulls? the effects of this are mind blowing.

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
hang 'em from the yardarm

what amazes me about this whole spill is the total lack of planning on how to deal with it. i assumed bp would have had to have plans and equipment staged and ready to go in case of an accident. it appears they had absolutely no plans and are making it up as they go.

what a crime against nature and humanity. hanging from a yardarm off an oil rig for all executives and politicians involved would be the only appropriate punishment. :evil:

TFrere

Oct 1, 2008
Morgan 382 Mandeville, LA
"Unfortunately, this is one example where unregulated private business didn't take care of itself. If we would have had tougher laws, we might have avoided this mess."

I must comment on this one. First, the oil industry is highly regulated. Sure this is a mess but the mess is not the result of the lack of regulatons. It appears that equipment failures and poor decisions on the part of the drilling team caused this incident. The technology in the deep water is new and the ability to work in those depths is limited. Environmentalists have forced us to go deep as the shallow water areas of the gulf in the states where we can drill cannot supply our needs anymore. When is the last time you heard about a large spill in the gulf prior to this one? The oil industry has been very prudent and the minor spills have been rare and quickly remediated prior to this BP incident. The gulf coast of Florida, the Atlantic seaboard, and the Pacific coast are all off limits to drilling so we must test ourselves and go after the oil in areas where we increase our risks significantly. BP has a huge mess on their hands and this incident has hurt the oil industry but we all are still dependent upon oil and drilling must continue to supply our energy needs. The answer is to drill utilizing compliant tower platforms in shallow water versus going after the deep formations. The answer is not to stop all drilling and to rely on foreign oil from the middle east.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
"Unfortunately, this is one example where unregulated private business didn't take care of itself. If we would have had tougher laws, we might have avoided this mess."

I must comment on this one. First, the oil industry is highly regulated. Sure this is a mess but the mess is not the result of the lack of regulatons. It appears that equipment failures and poor decisions on the part of the drilling team caused this incident. The technology in the deep water is new and the ability to work in those depths is limited. Environmentalists have forced us to go deep as the shallow water areas of the gulf in the states where we can drill cannot supply our needs anymore. When is the last time you heard about a large spill in the gulf prior to this one? The oil industry has been very prudent and the minor spills have been rare and quickly remediated prior to this BP incident. The gulf coast of Florida, the Atlantic seaboard, and the Pacific coast are all off limits to drilling so we must test ourselves and go after the oil in areas where we increase our risks significantly. BP has a huge mess on their hands and this incident has hurt the oil industry but we all are still dependent upon oil and drilling must continue to supply our energy needs. The answer is to drill utilizing compliant tower platforms in shallow water versus going after the deep formations. The answer is not to stop all drilling and to rely on foreign oil from the middle east.
Thank you for a rational response.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
OIL

Thank you for a rational response.
I COMPLETELY AGREE ...

We already have competent regulations, just criminally incompetent regulators, who allowed unsafe drilling practices to occur.

If we stop (safe, properly regulated) off shore oil drilling and production, we will simply continue to increase the transfer of our nation's wealth to (often hostel) foreign nations, who then use OUR own money against us.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I COMPLETELY AGREE ...

We already have competent regulations, just criminally incompetent regulators, who allowed unsafe drilling practices to occur.

If we stop (safe, properly regulated) off shore oil drilling and production, we will simply continue to increase the transfer of our nation's wealth to (often hostel) foreign nations, who then use OUR own money against us.
Not sure I would agree in that it is also OUR responsibility and I'm not convinced it isn't a regulatory problem.

MMS, the agency with primary responsibility to regulate and oversee offshore drilling, has been significantly cut in terms of both manpower and budget over the recent years. Those who routinely complain about government intervention, budget deficit and energy independence influence our elected officials and they aren't about to advocate larger, more expensive government. If they did, you wouldn't re-elect them.

All of which leads to less money allocated to government agencies like MMS. When you, I and everyone else start electing politicians who promise MORE government spending, we will have something to complain about. As it stands now, this is arguably OUR FAULT.

The lower number of inspectors, the frequency of inspection and the overall compliance with existing regulations is a function of budget limitations.

In terms of the adequacy of regulatory control, I am not familiar with all the specifics but I would suggest that no amount of regulatory control will ever eradicate human error, negligence or incompetence, all of which played a part here.

Long story short- there will always be oil spills and no amount of contingency planning will ever be adequate. Once the oil hits the water, it's too late regardless of how much effort and pre-planning goes into the response.

TFrere

Oct 1, 2008
Morgan 382 Mandeville, LA
Don,
I agree with most of what you have said here except the issue with MMS reducing manpower. From everything I have heard, the MMS has increased their workforce in recent years as has nearly every other federal agency. Furthermore, the MMS could have inspected the drilling rig the day before the incident and would have found nothing. It appears the issue was a mistake by the drilling operators at the time of the incident.
You are correct about the contingency planning. Nearly every operator in the gulf belongs to an organization called "Clean Gulf" which has vessels, planes, and loads of spill equipment. The problem here is not the initial spill but the failure to stop it. The responders could have easily controlled the spill if it could have been stopped within the first couple of days.

timvg

May 10, 2004
My understanding is that the oil that is drilled in the Gulf goes out to open oil markets, not to the United States.