Oil in freshwater cooling Universal M25XP

Aug 4, 2014
Catalina 30 Chesapeake
A quart of oil was accidentally dumped into my freshwater cooling system. I drained the mixture of coolant and oil out. Should I flush the system with something before filling with new coolant?

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
my suggestion would be to flush it several time with water or at least until no more oil comes out.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
oil wont really hurt the cooling system, but neither was the cooling system intended to have oil in it... if you flush it with a good product intended for the purpose and according to directions, it will be fine.
if you dont get to it immediately, it isnt going to cause any problems other than it may smell as the temp comes up...

if you do need to make a trip or two before you get around to flushing it, keep an eye on the temp gauge, as oil in the system does cause a slight loss of efficiency as oil does not carry heat away as fast as water, but unless you have another unknown problem you should have plenty enough cooling capacity that the small amount of oil wont make any difference.

Aug 4, 2014
Catalina 30 Chesapeake
Thanks! I think that I'm going to flush it with a radiator flush solution that is made for auto radiators and then replace the coolant.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Just empty, a residue will do no harm and perhaps help lubricate the pump and retard any corrosion.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Suggest you use a non-foaming detergent (such as used in carpet cleaning, etc.) and added to your cooling water .... successively. Oil in the water will help 'foul' the heat exchanger and lessen its 'coefficient of heat transfer'.
This fouling is monitored by taking the temperature at the inlet of the raw water and at the outlet of the raw water circuit and if this measured temperature is approaching 15 deg. F 'difference' then the entire FWC cooling circuit should be scrupulously cleaned to remove the oil fouling.
Use an infra-red indirect read thermometer and measure the temperature of 'metal' nozzles (not the hoses) on the raw water side of the Hx during long term 'cruising' rpm.