oil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau Oceanis 48 Long Island, NY
I successfully changed my oil on my Yanmar engine. I drained the oil, removed the old oil filter and put on a new one.

I tightened the fuel filter by hand, then further tightened 1/2 turn with a filter wrench. I am told I over-tightened the filter.

Should I:
  1. loosen the filter until oil leaks then re-tighten?
  2. wait until spring, then change oil again. Replace the oil filter. This time only tighten the oil filter hand tight?
  3. listen to my wife and have the yard winterize the engine?

Jun 7, 2007
Hunter 320 Williamsburg
1. Back off 1/4 turn. You'll be find.
2. See 1
3. Sure, in lieu of that winter vacation trip you were going to take her on.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A little snug maybe but if it was not leaking, then it was OK. May be a bit tougher to get off next year if not loosened, but also not a problem.. Most filters say to spin on by hand 'till the gasket touches, then tighten 3/4 of a turn further.. all by hand.. Be sure to wipe a little oil on the mating surface of the gasket before you spin it on.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I'm not sure I'd bother backing it off. The gasket is already compressed and loosening it might cause a leak under pressure. I'd leave it as is. Also, given the care with which many yard mechanics work, that's the last thing I'd ever consider paying them to do. It requires absolutely no skill yet can cause major damage if done wrong.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I just had an oil change on my car. Noticed oil on the garage floor. Taking it in again today to get it fixed.

I've been changing the oil on my boat engine for 13 years, no problems.

Tighten it as much as you want., Don't hassle about the # of turns, or what someone else "told you,", you just need to get it tight enough so YOU know it won't back off or fall off.

Don's right.

Don't sweat it.

Once you end up doing it a few times, YOU'LL know what's right for you and your engine.

Otherwise, rtfm, or do an internet search/Google on "how tight for oil filters."

When this comes up, as it does regularly this time of year, someone once noted: "Read the instructions on the filter housing or the box."

Good luck.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would do it now rather than latter because by spring of next year you may have a real hard time in getting that filter loose. Juts place a rag under the filter and use the filter wrench to loosen it then spin it back until the gasket makes full contact and then tighten by hand. Clean the outside of the filter and whatever oil may have spilled. I usually change the oil in my cars as I do not trust this delicate operation to the expertise of these quick change service stations. Undoubtedly every once in a while I will overfill the engine so in order to correct the situation I will loosen the filter and let some of the oil out. It is not a problem, but a stuck filter could be.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I had changed the engine and generator filters and they were both a bleeding knuckle afair. I spun the new ones on hand tight and 1/16 turn and after running neither leaked oil. Hopefully the next change is easier. I also wrote the date and hours of use on each filter.
All U Get

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Some filter wrenches have stamped protrusions on the band that bite into the metal of the filter. These protrusions can cause the filter to be pierced. If this is the case don't take the risk. Change the filter. If there is no physical damage on the filter then it can be backed off and tightened by hand. You don't have to spill any oil. You could also leave it as it is but it will be as tight as all get out the next time you try and remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.