oil filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hayden Watson

Its about time to change my oil and filter again. The last (first) time I changed it when I removed the oil filter, oil ran all over the side of the engine and made a real mess. How does everyone else deal with the oil that comes running out of the filter. It would sure be better if the filter was mounted straight down so that its contents would stay in. Hayden Watson 1988 C30 Papillon Spokane, WA

G

Gordon Torresen

Oil filter mess

Since the attitude of the filter cannot easily be changed, we must work around the problem as neatly as possible. On of the tricks our guys use is to employ a sturdy Ziplock bag. the bag is opened and the opened edges turned down about 1/2". The filter is loosened enough with a filter wrench so that it can be turned by hand but not so much that the seal is broken. The bag is then put over the filter and one hand holds it in place, with the index finger inside the fold and against the engine block. With the other hand outside the bag, the filter is turned off and allowed to go into the bag. The bag is then sealed, the filter set aside and the mess cleaned up. How much mess depends upon your dexterity and the length of your index finger. Another thought comes to mind. The mess is virtually unavoidable because a one-way valve in the filter keeps it full of oil until it is loosened. If you were to drill a small hole in the lower part of the filter, you could catch the oil coming out of with a controlled flow. After the canister is drained it could be removed without the usual gush of oil. If anybody tries this, please let me know how you make out.

B

Bob Petersen

Put a hole in it

For years now I have used the hole in the bottom to drain the oil out before removing the filter. It works good if you can get something the right size to hold the oil and get it out without spilling it. Also the filter should unscrewed enought to let air in. You may want to make it finger tite before you put the hole in it because the will not be in the same place after you start to unscrew it. I use a nail and hammer to put the hole in. Give it a try. As I said I have had good luck with. Bob Petersen Zippidee Du

D

Dakota Jim Russell

Ziplock Works As Torresen Says

Ziplock Works As Torresen Says: We use the ziplock method every year and have less than 2 teaspoons dripping. Clew is to 1: unscrew it very slightly; 2: have a willing wife with small hands that will unscrew it the rest of the way keeping the ziplock tight; 3: stand by with blue paper towels for morale support and to clean up the little mess that does occur. Works for me. Jim

L

Larry Youngman

Oil filter mess

Petersen's method works. Let air in by punching a second hole to let air in after the filter is rotated first hole down. Punch holes with a screw driver or large nail in the end of the filter. Make sure you have cracked loose the filter first before proceeding with hole punches.

B

Bryan C.

Pump oil out first

Not sure whether you did this or not, but you will have a lot less oil to deal with if you pump out the oil out of the crankcase before removing the filter. I just use a few paper towels.

E

Eric Lorgus

Try disposable diapers

My biggest problem with changing the filter used to be just getting enough leverage on it to unscrew it. I have a Yanmar 2GM20F with very limited access to the filter. Solved that by finding a filter wrench that fit, as there was no room to operate the tools with the adjustable bands. As for the mess that ensues, I use disposable diapers to catch the oil. They're very absorbent. Eric Lorgus S/V Explorer

G

Gary Jensen

best -by -far

The previous oil changes have all been tough. Oil in the bilge, on me ,etc. My new Catalina (380) came with a oil pump attached to the engine, All I do is turn a switch, place the hose in a bucket and push a button. W O W !!!!!! its great. No mess, every thing is easy, fast and CLEAN!!!!!!I didn't install it, but now that I have one, I won't be without one. Its just too easy!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.