oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmaks

May 31, 2012
Pearson 31 Suttons Bay
Atomic diesel....already know what the rec oil change is via the engine's website. General question....I live in Michigan, we winterize our boats, do I need to change the oil in the fall and again in the spring when I commission it for usage? Suggested by manufacture is to change the oil a minimum of 1x/yr if I don't have to change the oil due to the # of hours I put on the engine. Boat US Mag I just read suggested fall(when I put it in winter mode) and again in the spring (when I put it in summer usage mode)?????????

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Only if you like buying lube oil. Once in the Fall before lay-up is fine and is all that is recommended by reputable experts.

vmaks

May 31, 2012
Pearson 31 Suttons Bay
Thank you, yes, it will save me $ to only change the oil in the fall. I live 4 hrs from my boat so it becomes a marina issue which is NEVER cheap.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
"Suggested by manufacturer is to change the oil a minimum of 1x/yr..."

Have you seen the color of the oil that comes out of your Universal Atomic diesel? My experience with this engine tells me that the oil is probably black as midnight, full of soot and lord knows what. A single oil change does not get all of the oil out of the oil galleries as some is always left inside. Two oil changes gets more of the suspended particulates out then a single oil change, but there is always some residue.

If you are using an oil that is appropriate for a diesel (Rotella T for example) the oil should cost you < $20 for 4 quarts. Doing 1 more 'extra' oil change in the spring is just insurance that your engine will be circulating clean(er) oil.

Your engine, your boat, your money, your choice.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Agree

I agree an extra $20 bucks is way cheaper than to repair and do change my oil 2x a year.:dance:
But than again here in Florida we use our boats more and no winters on the hard and we just take her out every 3 or 4 years for bottom paint.
Nick

Dec 16, 2006
Hunter 25.5 Cayuga Lake, NY
Minimum of once a year depending on usage and it should be done just before layup. Reasons are..... Motor oil develops acids in suspension during usage due to heat and contaminates. If left stagnant for long periods these acids shorten engine life. Also, the filter media in many filters can start to breakdown ever so slightly after a years use and can't filter properly.

Changing the oil again in the spring during recommissioning is unneeded imho.

Diesel lubricating oil in any diesel gets pitch black with very little use which is normal.

Kordie

Aug 7, 2011
Beneteau 393 Cruising Baja
seadaddler said:
I agree an extra $20 bucks is way cheaper than to repair and do change my oil 2x a year.:dance:
But than again here in Florida we use our boats more and no winters on the hard and we just take her out every 3 or 4 years for bottom paint.
Nick
What sort of anti foul do you guys use? Agent Orange?

We have to do ours every year here in Australia or they look like the Great Barrier Reef!

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
"Your engine, your boat, your money, your choice. "

Why cut corners and skimp on a $20 oil change? How much do you spend for summer usage and winter storage?

Changing your oil 1 X a year is a MINIMUM that the manufacturer suggests. If your engine is as old as mine is then changing the oil twice (2 X) a year helps clean out the oil reservoir.

vmaks

May 31, 2012
Pearson 31 Suttons Bay
Thanks for you input, you said EXACTLY what BOAT US said which made me ask the question. The engine manual only suggested 1x in the fall if you store your boat for the winter. So now another question.....do I change the oil filter BOTH times as well? New boat to me(1983) but not new boat in general so I want to get it right. A little maintenance will go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.