Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pitman

The time has come to change my oil in my Yanmar 2GMF 2 cylinder engine. I have purchased the new filter and a device to suck out the old oil through the dip stick. My question is how much oil does the Yanmar 2GMF hold and what weight should I use. I just purchased this boat this year and the pervious owner said that he used synthetic oil. Should I stay with this?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
2 qts.

The engine take 2 quarts and the transmission about 1/2 qt. They do not recommend synthetic but I do not see why you cannot use it. The problem I see is that with the diesel, the oil always seems dirty so quickly that changing oil at least once per season is in line and maybe twice. I guess if it is that much better for then engine it is okay.

R

Rip Edmundson

Mack Boring says NO to synthetic oil

All I know is what they say in the Engine City class, but they warned Very strongly against using synthetic oil in ANY diesel engine. Looked through my notes but I can't find the reason. The recommended oil is 2 LITERS(not quarts) of API Services SE, CD or higher at SAE 30W. One reason they said to only use Yanmar oil filters is that the oil in a diesel is under higher pressure than on a gas engine and non-Yanmar filters may burst under the pressure. Pre-fill the filter to avoid an air-lock. Cut off a 2-liter plastic soda bottle at an angle to catch oil when you remove the filter. That 2 liter capacity assumes your 2GM20F is mounted at a normal angle of 8 degrees to horizontal. Good luck.

S

Stephen Ostrander

lube job

Make sure the oil is hot by running the engine for several minutes before trying to suck out the oil or you will get nothing. I take a plastic grocery bag and put it around the filter (afetr loosening) to catch the oil that leaks when you remove it. Reccomended time between oil changes is 100 hrs. but most people do it every season even though few put 100 hrs on the engine.

J

Jay Hill

Another question

Due to very high use of the boat for school purposes, my H31 is motored a great deal. This leads to two or even three oil changes per season. I've seen some kits that change the oil filter position. This would be very helpful not only for spills, but ease of removal and installation. Has anybody done this on a 2GM20F or received information in a Yanmar class about doing this? Any general comments, stories, experiences, cautions?

G

Greg Stebbins

Oil fitler relo kits

Jay, Oil filter relo kits are defined by the filter. Gas-desiel engines are the same oil pressure wise. Check your local auto parts houses or JC Whittney.

J

John

oil drain plug

I guess that I am lucky, because the previous owner of my H31 had a oil drain installed in the back bottom of the oil pan. I drain it just like I do my car, there is enough room to get a oil drain pan underneath it. If you ever have the engine pulled..... I suggest it for the H31.

D

Donny Lamb

Filter

As I've never been able to get my filter off....I just change the oil. This will catch up with me soon..it's been three seasons. Two qts usually does the trick. Pre-heat the oil if you're sucking it through the dipstick--a nice thinning agent for the goop. If it says pump the handle 20 times to create pressure, plan on 75-125 pumps. :)

M

mark schaefer

ELECTIC PUMP

JUST A MATTER OF IMFO..I BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE HAND PUMPS TO SUCK OIL OUT...WHAT A MESS...FOR 100 FROM WEST I THEN BOUGHT THE ELECTIC PUMP....ITS THE BEST...PLUG IN AND IN 30 SECONDS ALL THE OIL NEATLY IN THE BUCKET UNDER THE PUMP....WELL WORTH IT

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Donny, have you tried....

a filter wrench. If that does not work you can drive a screw driver through it and put bar on it. When you replace it just put some oil or lube on the gasket and snug it up by hand (no wrench). I must assume that who ever put it on last was a gorrilla type. I would also agree that it will catch up with you BUT considering how many hours the AVERAGE sailor puts on an engine this is probably acceptable (just not a good idea). I believe that the recommended interval is about 100 hrs between changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.