Oil change... Make it a double

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Like Benny’s story, I met an old farmer who never changed oil in his truck. He changed the filter but only added oil. He had over 200,000 miles on that old truck but I don’t think he ever ran it over 40 mph. Oil in other parts of the world is more pricey than our subsidied retail price. So we are fortunate.

I bring my used oil to a recycling center now with the understanding that it gets reused for some purpose. Years ago the old oil would heat the mechanic shop at the local garage, never thrown out. I probably won’t see the need to change how I change oil, but you younger sailors will. I would think testing oil before changing would be a common practice.

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
There’s a lot of new research showing that almost all engine damage due to improper oiling can be relegated to the first minute after startup. If a higher viscosity oil doesn’t reach a freshly started engine, then when it does, it will probably coke (burn up and create damaging particles). This is why most recommended oil viscosities have gone from the old 10w40 and 20w50 (Dino oil which tends to come-up) to the new 5w20 or 0w20 full synthetic (which tends not to coke-up if scorched and because it’s so thin, it more quickly reaches the extreme regions of an engine when cold.

after the oil has warmed up and is reaching all parts of the engine, there is almost no damage occurring to the engine.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
0w20, what is that? Mystery oil. I don’t understand the zero, so that could be anything or nothing. As it warms up, then does it become the 20w oil. Must be made for new engines.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Vancouver
I only did 6 hrs this year so to change or not is the question! Any recommendation?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I only did 6 hrs this year so to change or not is the question! Any recommendation?
Go ahead and change it. I have never changed the oil because it has reached the end of its life. I change it so the engine sits in fresh oil for the winter with no impurities in it.