Oh those Rudders 31 &34's

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod Leonard

Checking to see if any one else has broken their rudder? I have a 1987-31' Putting my 3rd rudder on it. The other Two broke on a weld about 3" from the top of the blade. Seems they used 2 different sized peices of steel and type what you see is Stainless Steel what you don't is cold rolled steel. My limited Knowledge tells me that this is a NO NO! especially around water. Hunter tells me that this has not been a problem. Any Comments

J

Jay Hill

Sounds like a repair job?

I have a 1985 H31, rudder was perfect during last bottom job in Sept '99; even bearings were great but boat previously had light usage. I now sail mostly in bad weather or very heavy air getting some practice and have had no problems. Are you the original owner? If not, is it possible, some yahoo of a repair technician screwed it up before you got it an each subsequent repair just copied the previous?

C

Colin Campbell

Welding stainless

There is no problem welding Stainless Steel to cold rolled as long as the work id performed by competent welders using the correct equipment, in particular, if the wrong filler rod is used the weld will fail.

R

Rod Leonard

Jay Hill

Yes, Orginal owner and all the rudders have been built by the orginal manufacture. I know of 4 failures.What about electrolysis and or rust. Say what you want but there's mostiure inside those babies.

J

Jay Hill

Counting My Blessings...

...and knockin' on (teak) wood. Sorry to hear of the problems and hope you find a permanent fix. Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.